Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

02-06

Newguy100

Country Flag
united_states
I'm new here, and mainly looking for advice.

My car was destroyed a few months ago in hurricane Micheal that hit Florida and I've dragging my feet looking for a replacement. I've finally landed on getting an 02-06 Land Cruiser.

This car might see a trail once or twice a year when my wife and I go to the mountains, but besides that, it will be a daily driver and a grocery getter.

I know these are incredibly reliable vehicles that can go for 400,000 plus miles. My main question being; as a daily driver and not a second or third vehicle, are they still known for that kind of reliability?

I want something that has at least some modest amount of capability to it, has enough room to haul the family around in and still likel hallway decent. So far, the Land Cruiser seems to check all the boxes!

Any comments or suggestions are be greatly welcomed!

Hi NG 100

The 4.7 V8 cruisers are highly reliable vehicles, but like all used cars you need to choose carefully. I’m guessing rust underneath is not going to be such a problem but is the first thing to check for. There’s Automatic height control which relies on the factory springs being of sufficient strength as the AHC can hold half a corner and the springs the other half of the load. So if it’s on original springs you may need to budget for replacing them as they get tired when old. This save the AHC working overtime which can cause problems in that area. Good service history, either Toyota or reliable independent is pretty much essential and a private sale Best over a dealer. The later wiggly gearshift Auto is the one to go for as its 5 speed.

These are super smooth trucks with every toy you could want so of course check everything works when you view including 3 Diff locks if it left the factory with three. There’s no reason not to have one as a daily driver.

@Jon Wildsmith drives one, he might be able to fill you in a bit more.

Welcome to this most friendly forum BTW.

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes
Rich

Hi NG 100

The 4.7 V8 cruisers are highly reliable vehicles, but like all used cars you need to choose carefully. I’m guessing rust underneath is not going to be such a problem but is the first thing to check for. There’s Automatic height control which relies on the factory springs being of sufficient strength as the AHC can hold half a corner and the springs the other half of the load. So if it’s on original springs you may need to budget for replacing them as they get tired when old. This save the AHC working overtime which can cause problems in that area. Good service history, either Toyota or reliable independent is pretty much essential and a private sale Best over a dealer. The later wiggly gearshift Auto is the one to go for as its 5 speed.

These are super smooth trucks with every toy you could want so of course check everything works when you view including 3 Diff locks if it left the factory with three. There’s no reason not to have one as a daily driver.

@Jon Wildsmith drives one, he might be able to fill you in a bit more.

Welcome to this most friendly forum BTW.

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes
Rich
Thank you for help! I really appreciate it!

As a DD, parking might be your only concern :lol:

My old 1995, 80 series is my DD, it does them good to be used regularly IMO.

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is from a 04 with 133k on it.

That rust looks serious to me. What are your thingsth?

received_1977653965877741.jpeg received_365347020716625.jpeg received_354026711860710.jpeg

If that’s the worst of it that doesn’t look bad. It’s more surface rust than anything structural. If the rest of the vehicle were just right for you then I wouldn’t let that put you off.
It would be best to treat it with something like Krown or a good rust killing paint product just to stop it going any further.

@AndycruiserguyLomas has seen under lots of cruisers and could have a better idea on it than me. Have you looked at a few? If you look at lots of them, you’ll get an idea what is common. This would be good condition in the U.K. after 15 years.

Plenty of well preserved classic cars from dry states , that's where i'd be looking to buy mine from , you only have to drive it home once .

You should be able to find one with less rust from a southern state. That one looks like it's been living on the beach or in an area with salted winter roads.

That particular car is in Georgia. And I do live about a mile from the coast in Florida.

I won't be taking it to they the stuf, but I am concerned that living that close will have an effect on it.

I'm going to go Wednesday and look at it.

1/4 mile is usually the limit for sea salt but it depends on the prevailing winds. I would have thought at 1 mile inland you should be fine (apart from the odd hurricane or two) and the right treatment underneath should help preserve it. I’m under a mile from the sea and have no problems. Mind you, we’ve only had one hurricane and that was getting on for 32 years ago.

Poor Michael!

Yes, Micheal was a real asshole! He's actually the reason I'm looking at a LC\LX470. My car was destroyed in the storm, along with our home. So I've been driving a crappy jeep Patriot sense then and I'm getting rather annoyed with it!

I actually managed to find an LX 470 in our town, but I think it's been wrecked. The driver side lower control arm Luis a little rusted, where the passenger side lower control arm looks almost brand new.

I'm going to drive it tomorrow and see what info I can get on it.

:shock: I thought Michael Fish had long since retired? Surely he’s not getting the blame for another hurricane?

And then…

Last edited:
I would say this a fine example of cross cultural miss understanding!

Hurricane Michael hit the Gulf Coast of Florida around Mexico Beach and Panama City on October 10th of last year. Just about the worst Hurricane to hit the states, well, ever.

It destroyed almost an entire town where it made landfall (eye) and the western part of the storm hit where I live and knocked down 75% of the trees here, and damaged or destroyed about 50% of every standing structure.

223bdece-86fe-4efc-bb40-987dc4130f26-large16x9_ScreenShot20181010at17.29.39.png sfl-sfl-hurricane-michael-damage-wre0083606161-20181011.jpg sfl-sfl-hurricane-michael-damage-wre0083604750-20181011.jpg sfl-sfl-hurricane-michael-damage-wre0083604303-20181011.jpg

I would say this a fine example of cross cultural miss understanding…

Forgive me but it’s more me and my sense of humour though not at anyone affected by such a disaster. Let me explain…
In the U.K., we don’t get hurricanes generally, so the ‘great storm of ‘87’ was a pretty big event for us. The poor chap in the video, Michael, has had a pretty rough time having nailed his colours to the mast by categorically saying the lady that called in was wrong. It probably brought an early end to the poor fellow’s career as he couldn’t live it down.

With both being called ‘Michael’ perhaps you can see the irony?

There were scenes like you’ve shown in your pictures from all across the south of England. Probably the worst winds this area has ever known.

Back