Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1 HZ Dilemmas

Dose the top of the injection pump look like so?
Looks like it has got one

View attachment 159922

C4F467D0-DACA-445A-B166-AFF0E0B1A44B.jpeg

They is another way of looking at it if I got rid of the turbo I could then drive on a motorway at 70
What boost are you running?
not sure but it is not a lot, looking at the video of it being put on it will be no more than 10 psi

Last edited:
You would have to back off your fueling if you removed your turbo.

So yes, you could be at 70.

Eventually...

First I would get an intercooler, then the engine tuned on a dyno concentrating on the AFR’s.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You paid a premium for a truck that was everything you wanted ............ almost . I've heard you say you wish you had kept your 80 if only for things like Lincomb hence i reckon your question only scratches the surface of something that goes much deeper . Yours is without a doubt a truck for life which will never be replaced - so why not make it exactly what you want i say .

Only you know what that involves but one has to wonder what other parts a Jap import could donate , axles and lockers maybe :confusion-shrug: i dunno but hey its only money and you cant take it with you .

A modified truck is never "finished"

You paid a premium for a truck that was everything you wanted ............ almost . I've heard you say you wish you had kept your 80 if only for things like Lincomb hence i reckon your question only scratches the surface of something that goes much deeper . Yours is without a doubt a truck for life which will never be replaced - so why not make it exactly what you want i say .

Only you know what that involves but one has to wonder what other parts a Jap import could donate , axles and lockers maybe :confusion-shrug: i dunno but hey its only money and you cant take it with you .

A modified truck is never "finished"
It has got front and rear lockers just the same as an 80
here is a vid clip of the turbo it has on

Watching that i have to assume its set up well and without reading back i think you said the alarm is set to 650c , when i read it i paused because while investigating EGT a long while ago it seemed to have logged in my mind that 750c is about the limit of reliability .

Of course i wasn't investigating for your engine but is it not fair to assume when they were fitting an aftermarket turbo for a very public figure they set the alarm to include a generous safety margin and so there is no need for your own caution to be added , did you say you try to keep it at 500c ?

Fwiw, in the 105 with the 1hz I don't have any problems sitting at 70mph across the country. No turbo involved.

It takes a few seconds longer getting there, but in convoy drives, I haven't had a problem keeping up with 80s and the odd Hilux.

Watching that i have to assume its set up well and without reading back i think you said the alarm is set to 650c , when i read it i paused because while investigating EGT a long while ago it seemed to have logged in my mind that 750c is about the limit of reliability .

Of course i wasn't investigating for your engine but is it not fair to assume when they were fitting an aftermarket turbo for a very public figure they set the alarm to include a generous safety margin and so there is no need for your own caution to be added , did you say you try to keep it at 500c ?
Yes Shayne I try to keep it around 500c tops, think my alarm is set at 600c, tbh I don't really know what a save limit is you read so many different figures so I have no clue

Though i understand your caution i never once read as low as 500 so maybe add another question seeking thoughts on acceptable EGT ?

I bet an email to steve's auto clinic would get a reply saying 600 leaves you with a 100c safety margin .

Though i inderstand your caution i never once read as low as 500 so maybe add another question seeking thoughts on acceptable EGT ?
This is what my EGT monitor say in the manual
Under normal driving conditions the EGT may vary between 250oC (482oF) and 650oC (1202oF). For most vehicles the alarm limit should be set to 720oC (1328oF). Please be aware that pushing the engine hard or driving up a steep hill, could cause the exhaust gas to exceed this temperature.
The higher temps may well be ok in an engine with pistons designed for a turbo, a 1HZ's pistons are not made for a turbo

So what your looking for is someone with a standard 1HZ who has an egt gauge fitted to tell you what temperatures they commonly see .

So what your looking for is someone with a standard 1HZ who has an egt gauge fitted to tell you what temperatures they commonly see .
I have read a standard engine does not get much higher than 350c, but who knows

I was watching a youtube clip by 4xoverland and they were discussing the known issue of 1HZ with turbo and the conclusion was that it is not meant to work with a turbo because the turbo completely damages the engine

Back