100 series Gullwing doors

StarCruiser Nov 10, 2016

1. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    It looks like you and I sing from the same song sheet on this sort of thing CB. I wanted the 80 Gullwings to look OE and although I had to compromise a little the bulk remains as I wanted, unobtrusive and aesthetically pleasing.

CountryBoy136 likes this.
  2. Ben Stratford

Ben Stratford Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Add me to your next list of 60 series gullwings please Rich

3. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    A 60 might be easier to do Ben as it would likely be the same format as an 80 but it still needs a truck to work from for the whole of the development. If I do a 60 series set the market would be small so I would need to recover development costs from a small number of doors making them rather expensive I fear.

4. CountryBoy136

CountryBoy136 New Member Supporter I am in south_africa

Hi Rich, am turning this notion over in my head, which is always a dangerous pastime, but just getting thoughts and concepts straightened out in my mind first, and then would be good to have a chat together about possibilities as a project for early in the New Year...

I read your 80 Wings thread right through, whew :flushed::sweatsmile:, so got a handle on the many issues you had to resolve and feedback fielded... food for thought, but have glimmerings of a notion on how might look to tackle it, if it can fly cost effectively, and see what's what...

TBH, am actually thinking of glass in a frame rather than ali, because for me personally the rear seats likely to occasionally go back when we have friends with kids down, so youngsters would want to be able to still see out... but appreciate that may not be feasible so is just an 'ideal solution' and remain open minded as to ultimate outcome... hope you won't mind me picking your brains in due course... :wink:

5. CountryBoy136

and referencing your comments as to size of market for 60's Wings, am guessing much broader market for a Hundee...

6. Ben Stratford

Map
    Yes Rich, there would be a very small number i expect. What is the preferred batch size?

7. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    Difficult to say Ben but at 10 pairs I hadn’t broken even with the 80 ones, not including my time. I would do a New model differently though but whatever happens I need a truck of the type to be able to do the drawing and try prototypes which should be easier now I know the format.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. Ben Stratford

Map
    Happy to provide a guinea pig should you get enough committed enquiries Rich

9. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    Interesting Ben, thank you. The 60 should be able to use the bulk of the 80 drawing. Just the outer shapes should need changing.

grantw likes this.
  10. CountryBoy136

11. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    You’re pretty keen on these CB, I can tell…

12. CountryBoy136

hahaha... well confess I am definitely now commited in my own mind... have decided I'll definitely work up a GW set up that suits my less hardcore requirements for this particular truck right after I get the custom drawer & wing setup I have in mind built and installed together with a tailgate conversion... and then all done, and should be the perfect everyday & casual leisure Cruiser:blush:

13. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    The very best of luck with that CB. I look forward to the build pics. :)

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter