Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series Gullwing doors

That is what I'm thinking Peter though it is a very early thought and very much depends on the available space in front of the frame. Far better would be to utilise the opening window seal rubber and produce a door that seals down onto that. Hinges and catches then become a problem. It's a minefield. Next time I'm close to a 100 I'll be taking notes. :)

maybe an idea (or just a stupid idea from me) but I think the 90's 120's and 100's all had the rear opening windows which work essentially the same way with the glass pulled in against a seal.

I'm not sure how similar they are in size but it strikes me you could cover the 3 series with one gullwing just having a different frame for each model. Of course if the sizes are different it may not work and I'll shut up:)

Perfectly good suggestion Mark and one I shall put in the mix.

As it is, I haven't yet started on this or had the chance of measuring anything but an 80 so it really is embryonic rather than in its infancy. There is much to do and to find out and many ways to do it. Having my 80 parked on my drive meant I could simply pop out to measure something. As it stands I need some vehicles to work from, and more importantly, the weather and the time to do it as I'm pretty busy at the moment.

I'd be interested in a pair for the 100 posted to Australia.
Have a 2002 with the side hinged windows if you need anything measured.

Hi Orinoco,

Thanks for the interest and for your offer of help. I'll pop you on the list as interested if that's OK? If the 80 series ones are anything to go by, there are some quite complex curves involved so measuring was not at all straight forward. However I do have a plan to move forward on this so do watch this space as they say. Keeping things real I don't anticipate a batch to be available until at least the middle of the year knowing fabricators schedules etc. Also, the 80 series ones ran out at around 25kg all in so shipping cost could be steep to Oz. I will post up costings when I get a bit more advanced.

Cheers
Rich

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1, GeekOKent (105)
2, SafariTecPeter
3, Womblingfree

Thanks Rich

I'd be happy with sea freight if it was cheaper.

cheers
Malcom
I'll have a look Malcolm. I always try for the least cost option if I can but air freight is usually what comes up.

Last edited:
ok bit of an update on these. I've had a look at a hundee (Thanks Werneroeder) and one with the windows out and I have changed my plan yet again.

So, I need a bit of info.
Part way through the life of the 100 there was a facelift. I'm guessing the body shell didn't change but can anyone confirm my suspicions as gospel.

Assuming that my thoughts are correct, I've decided I need a glass, complete with hinges and locking catch to be able to proceed. BUT before it is removed I will need an accurate line drawn round the inside of the plastic internal trim with something like a sharpie onto the glass without the trim
being distorted.

Can anyone help who's breaking a hundee?
@karl webster @AndycruiserguyLomas or did @Jon Wildsmith have some parts kicking around from a crash victim?

Not me sorry. There are some on ebay but I'm not sure how much I'd trust those sellers to do any marking ... you might find the inner clear part of the glass coincides with the trim - I'll have a look in daylight tomorrow.

Ok thanks Jon.
The clear bit on the glass sounds logical. That would be handy if you could confirm.

Not sure if it will give you what you need but hopefully it will give you enough to know if a more detailed look is needed or it's not viable. The trim on ours is distorted a bit by the way the dog guard fits.
20170112_110303.jpg
20170112_110314.jpg
20170112_110325.jpg
20170112_110344.jpg
20170112_110354.jpg

Thanks for that Jon. The shading does indeed give an accurate outline. No sharpie required. I'm off to eBay by the looks of it. :thumbup:

Did anything come of this at all?
Hi Malcolm, alas nothing more happened with these for various reasons. Not having a hundee of my own to mess about with was one of the major hurdles. I had worked out a way forward but without a pattern to work from and other things taking up my time it went on the back burner. Maybe I’ll take it up again in the future if I get the time.

Hi Rich, this is an interesting one tbh, been turning this over in my mind for a while as to whether it's something I'd just like to have or if it's something really useful for my needs... guess it depends on what one uses the truck for..

So if you ever revive this, you can put me down as interested in principle, would be interesting to see what the pricing can come in at since the available commercial options are anything but inexpensive, and a few are actually quite awkward and clunky looking!!

Hi CB, I’ve seen the clunky ones and I can say you’re being kind when you say that. If I do revive this I’ll be posting up on here for sure.

Hi CB, I’ve seen the clunky ones and I can say you’re being kind when you say that. If I do revive this I’ll be posting up on here for sure.

Haha... yes, you're right about being kind, but sometimes less said the better.. my own quiet view is that there is no excuse for sacrificing aesthetics on the altar of functionional utility, generally just laziness because it's easier, quicker and less taxing... but for me there's more satisfaction in resolving a challenge with a truly elegant, aesthetically pleasing yet totally functional solution...

...otherwise why would we all be happy to pay more for a penthouse room with a view instead of an equally 'functional' basement room facing onto a loading dock??? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::sweatsmile:

Back