Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

105 rear diff oil change

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I am about to tackle the rear diff oil change. Before i bugger this one up, is there anything i should know. Yes i have warmed it up.

Go the mighty Terriers.

Before you let all the oil out, make sure the filling plug hasn't seized. Makes filling it up again so much easier.

Ok so smart buttocks me went under the vehicle, i huffed and i puffed but for the life in me, i cannot open the fill bolt. I had it hot , a couple of burns will tell you that, but guys the dam thing will not shift. No i did not undo the drain plug yet, i think i may have a similar problem there.

Does anybody have any suggestions what to do. I was thinking heating it with a blow torch, but that may very well effect the metal housing, if there is somebody out there with a good idea, please tell me. It also tells me that the previous richard head who owned the vehicle, hasnt change the diff oil.

A spray of wd40 every day during a week. And then try again.

Mike really important to be careful with that plug. Easy to get a rag-on and just bash at it in frustration. Keep calm. First thing it to get a really really good fitting tool. Many of us will take a 24mm socket and face it off in the lathe to get rid of the bevel. The nut is so flat, you can just spin off it. Also when you use a big bar, it effectively places an uneven twist on the plug. Better to use an impact gun and faced off socket and give it a blast of vibration. Heat certain is your friend here too. OK you might worry about setting fire to the oil inside. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just give it local heat then cool it with a spray like WD40 a few times. If all else fails you might have to weld a nut onto it. That certainly works. Oh and order a new plug.

The drain plug usually gives up without such a fight.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had the same issue Mike. Had to weld a big nut on there. Make sure it is central though. The new plugs have a 10mm hex key which has proven to be very reliable. Changed all 8 to the same now (diffs, gbox, tbox)

Try Plusgas rather than WD40. It's a much more effective penetrant.

Mine was stuck fast and someone had rounded it off before me trying to shift it. I had to hammer on the next size down impact socket and use an impact gun in the end.

I agree fully with AM. WD40 is pants. I just didn't know what they had down under. I don't use it for anything other than to keep in my outdoor kit because at least they do miniature cans of the stuff.

Agree 100% on the wd40. I use Corrosion Block just about everywhere now.
I managed to round off the plug in my rear diff but got away with tapping on the next smaller size socket. When it was off I carefully re-filed the flats to make it a very snug fit in a smaller socket.

+1 on WD40. When I looked to see what Plus Gas was made of, it's mostly kerosene. I remembered seeing something on an engineering site about using kero with a bit of ATF mixed in to free up things, gave it a try and it seemed to work quite well. Another swore by acetone with ATF, haven't tried that yet.

I tried the acetone and aft but it didn’t seem to mix that well.

I had to get a long bar on mine, twatting a short bar with a hammer will just shag the nut because it’s too shallow. Slightly bizarrely an af socket fitted better than the metric ones.

Must've been a Milner's nut Moggy. Ha ha

make sure your using a 8 point socket, makes a huge difference.

or is it 8? I'm gonna have to count the points on my 8/6 point socket set..

Back