Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

105 spark plug question

iow_bob

Country Flag
north_korea
Owned my 105 for about 6 months now and it has always smelt abit rich .

Incase people are wondering what a 105 is

Basically body of a 100 series and running gear from an 80 series ( thats how i understand it anyway )
1999 4.5 petrol automatic

Going through the usual service parts
I struggled to get some spark plugs as they don't list that engine for a 100 series .

So i took the old denso plugs out and i gave the number to my local factors who supplied me with some NGK plugs .

Basically on the side of the rocker cover it says ONLY USE TWIN ELECTRODE PLUGS
Now the NGK ones the factors supplied were twin electrode and it ran fine on them till last week .

It developed a missfire so booked it into the garage who discovered water in the plug holes . It had been throwing it down all day
They got rid of the water but it still had a little missfire .
So they have changed the plugs and it runs fine .
Infact i'd say it runs better than ever and doesn't really smell rich anymore ..

BUT They have fitted single electrode plugs to it ..

Now my issue is what it says on the rocker cover .
Is running single electrode plugs going to cause a problem in the future ?
And why does it now not smell rich anymore ?
Do single electrode produce a better spark?

Hope we have a plug guru on the forum

Last edited:
Not many here with the 4500efi - you may better off on one of the Oz or Saffa cruiser forums.

Can't say I remember fitting special plugs to my 80 GXL (a 105 with an 80 body :) ) and it always ran sweet. Thirsty, but sweet.

I use genuine plugs in mine, it's possible the ones you took out originally were wrong so the ngk ones were wrong.

I wouldn't worry about the electrodes tbh. If it's running sweet and they've specced the correct plugs all is good.

Back