Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 1KZ-TE Intercooler on a 90 .

I run on tall skinny mud tyres, so 95mph would probably destroy my ear-drums....

Im happy at 60mph, on a run gives me mid-late 20mpg, I like not going fast, think its a backlash to driving very fast as a younger man, speed doesnt appeal at all now.

When my exhaust needs replacing (has had a few bits of welding now) I reckon I will go for a 3". Did look at it on the old LJ78 but never got round to it.

Pete

Well Charlie at Prospeed didn't even want to discuss an intercooler , he said with a 3" straight through exhaust direct from the turbo i won't need or want an intercooler !

That is the sort of thing that someone who can't be bothered would say.

If you are after more power, you will be creating more heat. And as discussed on another thread, heat is bad. The 3" exhaust will help dissipate heat quicker in the gases going out of the engine. However it also helps to lower the temps of the air going in, and this is done with an intercooler. Almost all turbo diesels now have intercoolers to help lower the intake temps that the turbo compression creates. The standard top mount is the easiest solution, but not the most efficient - it suffers from poor airflow at low speeds eg in soft sand / mud (with no bonnet scoop or fan), and heatsoak from the engine can be a problem. Front mount is better, and with a fan fitted even better again.

Edit: Just saw Pete's post too - think he is saying pretty much the same thing.

Last edited:
Jonnyboy i'm looking at aftermarket intercoolers would you be kind enough to post some pics of the bonnet mat or the under side of the prado bonnet so i can get a better idea of what i'm looking for please .

Does anyone have approx measurements of the standard Prado intercooler ?

Shayne,

Have swapped the truck for a van until Saturday, if you havent had an answer by then I will measure it all for you.

Pete

Cheers Pete i'm going with a universal cooler but theres a vast choice so i figure to just order as close as i can to the standard size is probably the safest option .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Pete i'm going with a universal cooler but theres a vast choice so i figure to just order as close as i can to the standard size is probably the safest option .

The challenge with fitting a non-standard intercooler is piping it to the throttle body (the factory intercoolers actually have a different inlet manifold and throttle body). You may need to cut the cast pipe that crosses over the top of the engine, and then use some large diameter silicone pipe to connect the intercooler. There is a crowd here in Aus that do an adapter plate as part of a kit (not sure if they sell it separately) - if I can find the link I will add it to this thread.

Have a look at a US site called Frozen Boost - they will have almost anything that you will need to go the aftermarket route.

Last edited:
Guys ,all the parts to fit a Prado intercooler are listed here in this thread I wrote a while back
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/41510-Intercooler
Hope this helps. I still haven't fitted this yet so if you want the measurements for the stock intercooler, Shayne I can measure up and let you know. Any questions please ask and I will try to answer as best as I can

Cheers Steve i found your thread while searching for info on Google and to be honest the very fact you haven't yet fitted it is what made me decide an aftermarket cooler is the way to go . Obviously you were lucky enough to find a Prado and remove the intercooler yourself along with all the other relevant parts . For me trying to get each and every part separately (using email) from breakers who in my experience seem to be deliberately vague and unhelpful would likely prove a needle in a haystack . Aside from this the cost would spiral and it seems your left to fabricate a fair bit to move the throttle plate and other ancillaries anyway , plus find a new throttle cable to suit .

Instead i can get all shapes and sizes of cooler on ebay for about 50 quid , I am having a stainless exhaust made to order next week and figure having a 6" long 3" pipe reduced to 2" to fit the outlet , and a 6" inch pipe with a flange to fit the throttle body should not prove difficult for guys who do this for a living and should not add greatly to the cost of the exhaust .

As a result i end up with everything brand new probably much cheaper than a used factory setup . Of course things don't end there but once it's in place i can work out the best way to route air through the cooler , adding a fan is almost a forgone conclusion but they about 20 quid on the bay and a hood scoop is a distinct possibility though i can think of several options to ensure cold air reaches the cooler in ample amounts .

The measurements that would help most Steve are the actual square size of the cooler face but more importantly a measurement from the throttle body to the front edge of the cooler , the shortest distance if you get what i mean ?

Reading that thread an aftermarket one looks the way to go.
I will take some pics later for you Shayne.
I wonder what your guys would charge for the pipework?
Or then again, with the extra grief of trying to direct air etc, is a front mounted one with hoses not a better option?

Front mount is the obvious choice for you Jonny but i need all the air to my radiator i can get to lower the chances of overheating when i'm off road and thrashing the revs with very little forward momentum to help cool things . As Fridayman says above just chop a few inches from the middle of the throttle body and use rubber pipe to connect it all back up with a cooler in the middle .

Shayne, do you mean the distance between the top of the throttle body to the bottom edge of the cooler or where the pipe connects to the intercooler? The intercooler face I will measure up for you tomorrow and let you know. Just not sure about the other measurement you are wanting.

Johnnyboy have you considered a transit intercooler. On my works pickup, which is a 58 reg, the intercooler is mounted below the front crossmember behind the bumper. This would only be ok if you are not planning on off roading of course but could be another option if you want a front mounted intercooler.

Hi Steve , my main concern is to get an aftermarket cooler that will meet the bonnet in the same place as the prado cooler would , hopefully this will keep things simple and allow me to make use of the airflow vents already inside the bonnet . Any and all measurements you can offer would be gratefully accepted . I've got lots of room on top of the engine because of a body lift so i guess all i really need to know is the face size and where in relation to the face does the pipework enter/exit .

I am not lifted, and no plans to offroad etc, I like to keep things simple lol.
Am I right in saying (cos I am simple) that basically the intercooler "breaks" into the induction pipework post air filter and back in pre-throttle body? Or am I missing something?
Transit intercooler? oooh have a 53 plate transit lol

So its literally find a home for the intercooler, couple of bespoke silicon induction pipes and bob's your uncle?

There's nothing fancy about an intercooler it's just the same as a radiator only the rad uses air to cool water while the intercooler uses air to cool air . If you can get a silicon pipe to fit on your butchered throttle body pipe ends it wouldn't matter if you used old drain pipe to fit the cooler wherever you like . That's how i see it anyway .

Im happy at 60mph, on a run gives me mid-late 20mpg, I like not going fast, think its a backlash to driving very fast as a younger man, speed doesnt appeal at all now.

Pete

That's where I am Pete, in my non-turbo manual 80! Quite happy at 100kph thank you!

I don't wanna break no land speed records or even speed limits Clive it's just great to feel like your holding a crazy roaring beast by the horns and making it behave . I loved my bikes maybe because i was always aware that one mistake , a little to much throttle at the wrong time in the wrong place , and it would chew me up and spit me out faster than i can blink . Moving at 5mph on such a beast is a thrill all on it's own .

Just looking at kits and the specific intercooler kits for a 1KZ TE engine from hp diesel and they have 2" piping. Is this the only diameter that can be used? i.e is the outlet from the turbo such a size that the 2" tubing is required. Going to do a DIY front mount so I need to know tubing diameter. I don't think the top mount will suit me as much as I mainly want the intercooler for increased power on the open road not off road. My thinking is more power, than less revs for my usual driving speed and so improved fuel economy. Also like to have increased power when needed.

Back