Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series Packing system

And a devil to wash blood off too I can telly. Was going to do all the back of mine in it but after having a deer in there the other day bleeding everywhere I have had second thoughts.

Pot Noodle is even harder to scrape off. :roll:

C

Gavlad said:
Those profiles have mighty sharp edges...

Battered and Blue said:
Was going to do all the back of mine in it but after having a deer in there the other day bleeding everywhere I have had second thoughts.

I guess the deer cut itself in the back of Lil Blue then? :o :lol:

Andrew Prince said:
Gavlad said:
Those profiles have mighty sharp edges...

[quote="Battered and Blue":s8hkoj8g]Was going to do all the back of mine in it but after having a deer in there the other day bleeding everywhere I have had second thoughts.

I guess the deer cut itself in the back of Lil Blue then? :o :lol:[/quote:s8hkoj8g]

:lol: :lol:

Poor thing

Oh no the poor thing. Maybe I should have given her a name.

I shall call her... Tasty.

Elmer.

I take it from that response that I had better bring my pot and some venison to the next Lincomb then? That's if the Elf n Safety hasn't banned camp fires!

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gazza - I've finished my packing system

At last :o

Kermits packing system is now finished. :|
Just need to decide where to position the mountings. :?

DSCN0420.JPG

DSCN0416.JPG

DSCN0417.JPG

DSCN0418.JPG

DSCN0419.JPG

Very nice Keith - gave me an or two I'm still playing with!!

Now to head off to the bush - lucky sod :D

Gary, got those finished sizes yet? I can get a steel price for you. Just as part of plan 37B.

I would take it that the left to right spars would be the long members so that any open ends on the box don't show. Yes? I make the whole main frame to be about 17m or three lengths at about £7 per length (ish)

This WILL fit through the back door won't it? Or do we need to make it sectional somewhere so that it can be split? The little shelf supports could be plug n play.

Chris

An update:

I left home on Saturday before the sparrows even considered anything, and took a pleasant drive down the east coast. The Icelandic volcano created great atmospheric conditions for a beautiful sunrise:

DSC_0585.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

Anyway, got to Chris’s uneventfully to find a happy welder amidst a pile of steel. We hauled out the plan, which Chris had worked through and marked up the steel, with the vertical risers being pre-cut.

DSC_0588.jpg

DSC_0593-1.jpg

We (!) then cut the base, and welded that up quite quickly…

DSC_0590.jpg

Right, I thought – I’ll be home tonight at this rate – fat chance!!

We’d had a discussion about how to actually fix this beast into the back of the 120, and had decided to pick up on the OEM tie-down rings. So on went some tabs, to line up with the floor holes.

DSC_0596.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

We got the basic cube welded up (I say we, but one of us had to be the foreman, and one the welder – I’ll leave you to sort that relationship out :cool: )

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

Then came the trial fit of the basic cube.

DSC_0622.jpg

DSC_0624.jpg

Spot the school-boy mistake :oops: :twisted: :twisted:

That's when the first bit of recrimination started – ‘But I thought you’d measured all this …!!’

Well – I had, but in my excitement, had never really twigged that the dog-guard would chew up an all-important 15mm of depth in the rear cargo bay …. Resulting in the base not quite hitting the tie-down anchor points at the back, and also catching on the rear door trim, which protrudes a stupid amount, really, at the top hinge-side corner, into the body of the vehicle!!

So a bit of jiggery-pokery later, removing the 'D' rings and slotting the mounts, saw the cube go in, and miss the rear door this time :oops:

So once I’d got over myself and stopped wanting to bin the whole thing there and then, we got down to the serious business of measure, cut, fit and weld. By Saturday night, we’d got the main unit complete, and collapsed for a well-earned beer and a great chicken dinner, and then to bed … :geek:

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

The basic unit is bloody strong, though! I can stand on it – ;)

DSC_0644-1.jpg

and so can Chris !! :shock:

DSC_0648-1.jpg

Sunday had me woken to the gentle sounds of a grinder and welder in full song!! Chris was already hard at work in the garage (shame – he had to basically empty it so we could get in there to work… ;-) )

DSC_0652.jpg

One of the components to go in was the fridge slide, and I’d envisaged it being mounted to some OSB or ply which would form the bottom of the bay it’s located in. We re-worked that idea to create a bespoke mounting system which is lighter but stronger – a couple of straps across the width and drilled with captive nuts spotted in to accept the fridge slide mounting points, and some M8 bolts right through. Piece of cake, and works a dream.

DSC_0653.jpg

The 3rd battery was designed to fit behind the fridge – obviously now with no wooden base, we needed a new plan to locate and secure the 115aH Exide leisure battery, which is quite a large beast. Not having the wooden base to use caused a bit of a re-think, which Chris solved admirably by finding a piece of steel plate to weld in place, which resulted in a bespoke battery mount being created .. a work of art, and strong as a rock – that battery is going nowhere!

DSC_0655.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

So lots of cutting, grinding, welding, swearing took place, much tea was consumed (well, some was, the staff left to go shopping, and to provide a great lunch, enjoyed outside in the sunshine) …

DSC_0661.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

Final fitting:

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

I drove all the way home with it all fitted, and it’s absolutely noiseless, and doesn’t interfere too much with rear view … But I’ve been rethinking this, and would now do it a bit differently – I had to leave off the ‘outriggers’ as there was no way that the beast would fit in through the door with them on. Bit of a pain. Essentially I tried to maximise internal space, but that’s not really the right approach. I’ll now con Chris into spending a weekend actually teaching me to weld, and then play around making the Mk II version, which will be a bit different. Having seen how easy (relatively :? ) it is, that’s probably the best route. But I’ll go to France with it as is, and then decide.

So – to complete it, it’s going for powder coating, and I’ve still to fit the wooden ‘floors’ and get drawers made up – that’s it … I think. final pics to follow.

But a HUGE 'Thank You' to Chris for the hard work and organising - it truly was a lot of work, and he didn't complain much, really :lol: I think this was the best route to follow, but it wouldn't have got to where it is without Chris selfless help, and hospitality - thanks, Chris - it's better than 'a bought one' :lol: .

An excellent weekends work there chaps - looking good so far. Looking forwards to seeing the finished article in the fullness of time Gaz :)

Gary you are more than welcome my friend. It was a pleasure having you to stay. (I'll PM everyone the true story later)

I think that if we started again and we lived closer to each other, we'd have different system. To really fill the car it would not be square and would be in sections that collapsed inwards once unbolted. I would have drawers in for sure. If I could weld stainless (I probably can) I would have put in a custom stainless water tank designed to use up what space was available (err maybe). Not a very usable space in the 120. But I would also have done away with the dog guard and built the protection for the passenger compartment into the design. We could have had a further section that was only used when the rear seats were folded down as well. But hey £30 for steel it's not the end of the World and can be modified and re used anyway. See how we go on when I do my 80, eh?

Sooo glad you used all the flattering shots of me. Nice work Lord Lichfield!!!!!

Chris

Looks good guys and at least you have something to go to France with Gary even if you'd do it differently next time. Don't be fooled by Chris making it look easy, keeping it all neat and square takes practice and patience, the welding is almost the easy part ;) If you want wings on it why not just bolt some on once it's in place?

Thanks Jon. I suspect that Gary knows that. Well he'd better. :p

The problem with the wings is that even if we had somehow got some on there to make shelves, you can't get past the frame to get to them to actually make use of them. The door is so much narrower than the cabin.

C

Ah, yes I see the wing problem now. So what would you do differently then Gary? I guess some of the limitations of the current design are bought on by the (lack of) fabrication facilities you would normaly have? I went through loads of different designs on my 80 and wasn't really happy with those but they were good practice for the 100.

Well Chris and Gary, what a team,
Great team work, and a great looking system.
Even if there are 1 or 2 slight changes that you might consider.

Well, what I am getting down to is,, , , , Just dont throw the plans away,
That looks so damn good, I would pay good money for a system like that.

As I also have a 120series, like Gary's, (minus the dog guard) , I am very tempted to ask Chris if he would consider making me one, ?

Providing I can come up with the required tea, biscuits, and beer tokens. And Chris can arrrange steel and time?

Graham

That is some awesome work gents, I looked forward to seeing it used in anger on the French trip ;) The only down side I am now looking in the back of my truck and thinking of re-doing mine :D :D Don't tell SWHTBO :cool:

Steve

looks great guys nice work - but im sticking to the stock layout for the mo as the versitility is just what i need
Image0234.jpg

Image0238.jpg

Image0235.jpg

{ADMIN: Pics fixed for you ..}

goodoldboy said:
looks great guys nice work - but im sticking to the stock layout for the mo as the versitility is just what i need
Image0234.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock: Must be quite exciting for all on-board if you hit the brakes with that little lot in the back :lol:

Now that's a proper working vehicle :shock:

Back