Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series Rear Door Table

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Saw this originally on pradopoint.com and thought it would be an interesting little project - I'm usually a bunch of thumbs when it comes to this. Anyway, decided to have a go. Some of you might have heard me mumbling about not having a tail-gate while in Wales, and how I missed it's varied functionality, not having an 80-series anymore :cry: So I decided to have a play

Raw Materials:
12mm plywood, 1100mm x 500mm
self-tapping screws, nylon hooks, stainless marine hinges, 20mm webbing strap, 3mm shock cord; 500ml spray-on upholstery glue. Most of the stuff came from B&Q except the carpet, marine stainless steel hinges and hooks, which cam from various flea-bay suppliers, mostly Chandlery World (excellent stuff ...)

Table-Build-003.jpg

Decided to varnish the ply and trim the front corners. I didn't like the wood effect, so then decided to cover the ply with car carpet (the stuff used to cover speaker boxes, etc.:

Table-Build-013.jpg

Got SWMBO to help with the fabric cutting (well, what do I know about mitred corners: :p ). Fully covered table. NB: Ensure the glue you use dries to be transparent - the stuff I got doesn't, so had to be careful with gluing

Table-Build-014.jpg

Figuring out the hinge layout:

Table-Build-015.jpg

Oooh - drilling holes in the rear door moulding - ouch!! Trap the folded over 20mm webbing under the nylon hooks and screw it all down with 30mm self-tappers...

Table-Build-016.jpg

Marking up and drilling for the centre hinge - drill right through the steel - ensure no clips etc. are in the way:

Table-Build-017.jpg

Table fitted!!

Table-Build-019.jpg

Table folded away for travel:

Table-Build-020.jpg

Anyone for tea??

Table-Build-021.jpg

Worthwhile exercise - SWMBO thinks it's great! Total cost, about £30 - I paid more in total, because I had to buy a roll of carpeting, a whole tin of varnish, whole tin of glue etc... some of which will be reused on other exciting projects (next up is a packing system...). I had fun, though!

Very nice.

Where did you get the carpet and how much? I want some for my drawers. I would like something that is pretty hard wearing as things will go on top, including two over excited dogs....

Back