Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12v oven Europe

steverjuk

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I've seen these 12v marine ovens being used extensively in AUS, anyone seen a supply for something like it in the UK / Europe? Or maybe an alternative to quickly heat up your food when you get into camp late.

The problem is a oven can run of AC or DC as at the end of the day all it is a resistive heater. Even if the oven is running of 12v and its pulling 20amps it's going to be a powerful as a 240v pulling 2amps.

The problem with an inverter is that it's not going to be anywhere near 100% efficiency, so your literally wasting power heating the inverter and making noise.

I have no need for an inverter for my build so trying to keep it as simple and efficient as possible.

I have one of these, absolutely brill for heating pies, cooking dinner etc while driving,
Fills the truck with a lovely smell to make the mouthwater

Got my sis in law to bring mine over from Oz a couple of years ago

Indeed it does. We had some nice nosh out of that oven. ON a slightly different variant, I have this one in the trailer. It's 240v and it will run from the battery via the inverter or from hook up or from the genny. The trick is that it's quartz halogen so it's far more efficient than most heating elements. It grills too. Wouldn't be without it. When hot inside, it just ticks in and out to keep the temperature up.

Search around. I got one for £25 delivered. Appreciate you don't want an inverter, but it's still a great bit of kit for consideration. It doesn't need pure sine wave either so an inverter capable of 800w is no big deal.

Problem with anything that has to heat up is that 12v is slow and 240 means converting unless you have hook up. Andy's oven is good because you run it on the move. But you do have to plan ahead. There are some gas ovens which of course add a different dimension. And some that you put on top of a stove. Basically a steel box. They seem to work very well

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks a bit like a Deliveroo rider’s top box with all that greasy food in it.

How to cook without having a Hissy Big Diva Jock Fit Mr Ramsey should take notes

The heat under my bonnet I can see how it'd work very well.

I think I am going to take the plunge on one of those roadking hot box things for less than £40. There a You Tube vid from a Cabbie who heats up his tea in one. Very long winded, but he gets there in the end. Straight out of the freezer at breakfast and by lunchtime you've a slap up feed.

@Chris let me know good it is, as I'm looking at 250 quid to import a travel buddy and that's a little bit pricey.

Sure - but I'm not planning to do this in like the next couple of days. But for £40 it's worth the chance I think.

Back