Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12v water pump/ filter

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Has anyone put in a 12v water pump and inline filter into their overland builds? I can't spend any longer purifying water by hand so thinking about something like a this:

https://www.jonesboatchandlery.co.u...c-water-pump?gclid=CMPtpdLG79ICFc8y0wodG18Ojg

(ok why wont the hyperlink work?)

and a this:

https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/p...er-pump-accessories/59000-1000-aqua-filta.htm

the idea being I fill a jerry can from a lake/ river, carry it to the truck, stick in the intake hose, switch on pump which pumps the water through the filter and into the onboard water tank.

Would be interested if anyone has done anything similar.

Cheers

Nick

I did (many moons ago), try a purification system, think it's still in the back of the shed somewhere, I found it completely unneccesarry as bottled water is available every where, even way off grid, just ensure enough taken with you. I have been unsupported in any way for up to 28 days crossing the Sahara, no wells, lakes or villages & managed fine.
What I did find with the filter was, that the ceramic cartridge kept on breaking off where it screwed into the filter housing, due to the constant bumping about off road, this rendered it useless, so out it came.
My advice would be not to complicate things, just more to go wrong!

Shurflo is a popular brand for pumps in the overland builds. Good quality.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Wow, @Andy - 28 days in the Sahara sounds pretty impressive. Which route did you take? I guess i'm kinda against buying lots of plastic water bottles because of the environmental issues, especially somewhere like Africa where they (understandably) don't have time to worry too much about disposal issues. I'm also a bit cheap and i'd rather fill up for free. Plus now there are 4 of us I can see our water usage is going to be pretty high.

I'll spend some time looking at all the suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Thanks all. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
HI

Here is what I made for my last trip. Didn't have a filter though.

I know it looks bonkers. I had 2 of the cans left over from my caravan, which I had converted to external water tank pump system.

The 2 cans of 13L each were strapped to the side, so when one ran out just swapped the pipe over to the other.

The pump was from.
http://fourby.co.uk/epages/950004277.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=11883163

Worked great. Not to high pressure, so it didn't empty the tanks. The switch was of amazon, LED light on the end of the switch can on when powered on, switch off by flip down the guard.

I basically did what you suggested but with large bottles of water from the supermarket. Unscrewed the cap, put a longer hose on dropped it into the water bottle pointed the water head into the can and filled it up, easy.

I know it looks bonkers but the water was well strapped in and out of the way. Great for rinsing down the dishes ;).

G.

Water tank zoom.JPG
IMG_20170722_184956668.jpg
IMG_20170722_185040871.jpg
IMG_20170722_185047410.jpg
IMG_20170722_185057669.jpg
IMG_20170722_185115958.jpg
IMG_20170722_185127962.jpg

Something that may be worth considering if you really need/want to filter water is a fine filter or set of graded filters and then a small 12v UV steriliser on the output close under the tap. Filter gets out any solids and UV kills any bugs.

Often see people worried about the 'environmental impact' of bottled water on their trips. TBH wether you use bottled or not has minuscule environmental impact compared to the diesel you burn in the engine

I have the big Sureflo pump in my set up and it's like mains pressure. And I run the tank water through a charcoal filter. It's a tough plastic pipe with a sort of sock inside packed with fine charcoal. I'm not sure it would remove amoebic dysentery from raw sewage but it certainly seems to provide very clear water that has no residual tank taste nor any scum at all when boiled. I got it from Renishaw Caravans in Clay Cross.

Back