Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12volt start battery question

thanks Clive,,,I don`t know much about many things but batteries I have done from a child to now unfortunately and I have picked a few thing up on the way.

Lead is lead. By definition it is 100% Pb not even 99.9999999 recurring purity is Pb. That's the problem with the recycling it's cheaper to use something they can call lead which can legally be described as so but can contain impurities. There is only one lead by definition. Now steel, there are thousands of different ones so you need to choose the right one. With batteries you need to specify how pure you want the lead. Similar specifications apply to copper, Cu, which is another element which is by definition 100% copper. 100% is costly to achieve though. Domestic telephone lines are high purity copper as low voltage having to be used needs low resistance for long thin wires. That's why the thieves keep stealing our telephone lines. Off for several months last time and the engineers were telling me the stories. Some thieves have professional wire stripping machines to save the manual labour involved. Lazy sods :icon-biggrin:.

Lead is lead. By definition it is 100% Pb not even 99.9999999 recurring purity is Pb. That's the problem with the recycling it's cheaper to use something they can call lead which can legally be described as so but can contain impurities. There is only one lead by definition. Now steel, there are thousands of different ones so you need to choose the right one. With batteries you need to specify how pure you want the lead. Similar specifications apply to copper, Cu, which is another element which is by definition 100% copper. 100% is costly to achieve though. Domestic telephone lines are high purity copper as low voltage having to be used needs low resistance for long thin wires. That's why the thieves keep stealing our telephone lines. Off for several months last time and the engineers were telling me the stories. Some thieves have professional wire stripping machines to save the manual labour involved. Lazy sods :icon-biggrin:.

Vey true. Lead, Aluminium and Iron are all elements but used extensively as alloys in everyday life with differing percentages of other compounds or elements. Steel is just a generic term for many different alloys of iron, carbon, chromium etc but when we say something is made of aluminium it will rarely be 100% pure aluminium. Lead is also used extensively as an alloy, usually with tin, in the electronics industry and for bullets and shot although it's use is gradually being replaced with lead free alternatives due to the problems of contaminated waste disposal. Lead free shot for fishing has been in use for some years now and one of the guys in a local electronics shop was telling me recently that lead based solder is getting increasingly harder to get hold of. JMO

Back