Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1984 BJ40

shafiq

Country Flag
uk
Just become a proud owner of a 1984 BJ40 in medium blue, soft top. Restoration work will commence soon. Sorting out the paperwork and sourcing a good set of Ambulance doors, roof and side panels right now.
The vehicle is almost perfect with almost 0% rust and in its original paint.
It has the Diesel B type engine with the 4 speed gear box.
Will post further images and details of the build progress here.

Hi and welcome
Wow a BJ40 with no rust - that is a rare find!
Looking forward to some photos.
Megastore4x4.pt have all the panels/roof/doors etc in stock but they are in Portugal, so getting them could/will be expensive. I can't comment on the quality but items that I've had from they have all been first rate.

Regards,

Rodger

Welcome Shafiq, good to have another 40 on the forum. As above looking forward to seeing pics and throughout the resto process. If it’s the blue I’m thinking of that will be one sweet looking cruiser.

Good luck with it.

Best wishes
Rich

Hi and welcome
Might start restoring mine one day

My Avatar image isn't my medium Blue BJ40. I am still waiting for better images to come through. I have been looking for this beast for the best part of 4 years now. I found many on ebay and made several trips up and down the country, I also flew to Milan and went to visit a small farm where a gentleman was selling his BJ40. All in vain sadly. Wasted hundreds of pounds of fuel and a tremendous amount of time. Finally I located this particular vehicle in the Abbottabad, Pakistan. For most of you who know the chap that the Americans were hunting for decades, you would know where that name Abbottabad comes from.
I went on a trekking trip to the Himalaya's in Pakistan, managed to complete two base camps and had the pleasure of seeing some of the tallest mountains in the world, to name a few, Rakaposhi and Nanga Parbat. It is during this trip that I discovered Pakistan had these gems and plenty of them. I am lucky to know a few good people in that part of the world and so my search began. After almost two years of searching and many internet searches and calls, i found my BJ40.
The vehicle will be inspected by a master builder (hopefully) next week, after which I will decide on the course and scope of the restoration.
I know what many of you will be thinking, Pakistan!!! A name linked to a Nuclear Nation, Osma bin Ladin and the Taliban. This country has the most beautiful landscape in its North, this is the home of 8 of the tallest peaks, including K2.
Pakistan is one of the many countries who's public and private sector imported a substantial number of these beauties back in the 70's and 80's. Many Americans and Brits fly over to the country and have their vehicles made under supervision and then ship them over to their respective countries. I personally know a few chaps who have spent a considerable amount on restoring their BJ's and FJ's and have sold them on in the states for a considerable amount of money.
It's too early to say anything but I am very hopeful that my project will be a success. I will be flying out in March 2019 to inspect the work and deal with some paperwork necessary to ship the vehicle out to the UK.
I will post some images towards the end of the week but its nothing special at the moment. Very tired looking as its never been painted. Condition is great for its age and it has the original power steering and front Disc brakes too.
I have to say, my biggest concern was the lack of parts outlets and mechanics in the UK which held me back for some time. The UK sadly does not have the same following as the US or other parts of the world. I have another friend who imported his BJ40 (i think a 1978) from Pakistan last year and that beauty is in Stratford, London as we speak. Yes, its Right Hand Drive and yes his vehicle is mainly rust free too.
I hope to keep this thread alive with feedback as the build continues.
Thank you all for the nice welcome and lovely to meet like minded people.
Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pakistan... A couple of years back I was conversing with a Pakistan national to try and get some spares shipped. The army were selling a load of their FJs and spares but getting an export licence seemed to be the problem, although this was before the last elections so maybe the situation has changed or it is easier for non-nationals to get the relevant permissions.
From 1970 Toyota had an assembly plant for 40s in Pakistan.

Certainly interested to hear how to get on with this and, if things have changed, then maybe I should resurrect the contact.

The reason 40s don't appear to have a big following in the UK is that they were never officially imported (quotas and the protection of LR).

Regards,

Rodger

Pakistan... A couple of years back I was conversing with a Pakistan national to try and get some spares shipped. The army were selling a load of their FJs and spares but getting an export licence seemed to be the problem, although this was before the last elections so maybe the situation has changed or it is easier for non-nationals to get the relevant permissions.
From 1970 Toyota had an assembly plant for 40s in Pakistan.

Certainly interested to hear how to get on with this and, if things have changed, then maybe I should resurrect the contact.

The reason 40s don't appear to have a big following in the UK is that they were never officially imported (quotas and the protection of LR).

Regards,

Rodger

It’s tricky, exporting anything out of Pakistan is difficult. Not sure if any of the rules have changed.

Yes, body panels and pans are readily available however their prices have started rising as the stocks have started to deplete.

Welcome Shafiq, good to have another 40 on the forum. As above looking forward to seeing pics and throughout the resto process. If it’s the blue I’m thinking of that will be one sweet looking cruiser.

Good luck with it.

Best wishes
Rich

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the welcome mate. If I am honest, I would say this particular blue isn’t my 1st choice of colour. I was looking for the sandy colour initially but couldn’t find an unrestored piece since the Pakistani’s love to quickly modify the vehicle’s. They have an abundance of very competent mechanics and a wealth of spare Diesel engines.
My initial thoughts were to modify the colour but then after chatting with a few friends in Dubai who restore vehicles which they send off to the US, I decided not to change anything from the original spec. The model plate says 857 for the colour, so it will remain the same.
The only modification I will make is by upgrading its original 4 speed gear box to the 5 speed and overhaul the engine with a brand new set of piston, rings and other bits necessary.

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the welcome mate. If I am honest, I would say this particular blue isn’t my 1st choice of colour. I was looking for the sandy colour initially but couldn’t find an unrestored piece since the Pakistani’s love to quickly modify the vehicle’s. They have an abundance of very competent mechanics and a wealth of spare Diesel engines.
My initial thoughts were to modify the colour but then after chatting with a few friends in Dubai who restore vehicles which they send off to the US, I decided not to change anything from the original spec. The model plate says 857 for the colour, so it will remain the same.
The only modification I will make is by upgrading its original 4 speed gear box to the 5 speed and overhaul the engine with a brand new set of piston, rings and other bits necessary.
It not the shade of blue I was thinking of but it’s a 40 so it will still be sweet. :thumbup:

I’m surprised you need to do anything to the engine. Weren’t they the ‘million mile engines’ in these?

The Engine runs fine at the moment but since I can afford the rebuild, I thought of getting this done too in order to release a few ponies.

57167708-84E0-493B-AF78-74F1895EEAAD.jpeg This is my BJ40

Last edited:
Wow! She is in good condition. Don’t think I’ve seen that colour before. It’s not bad at all. :thumbup:

I waited for many years, finally paid off. 1980 BJ40 in showroom condition. Owned by a Swedish surveying company in Portugal. It came with a "catalogue" of maintaince records, still has the inspection lamp! Pictures to follow. Other than a oil and coolant change I struggle to find anything that needs to be done.

2BAEFD1C-85FE-4BDA-9B58-1379755B7419.jpeg Very sorry for not posting any pics over the last two months. My restoration commenced on the 24th March. I am now in week 11 and the body panels are being put back on after the whole tub has been stripped and refurbished. The frame was stripped, cleaned, damaged bits replaced, alignment issues rectified, both differentials refurbished along with the hubs with new bearings and breaks. I will upload some of the restoration images I have for the work already done.

Back