Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1FTE alternator - which direction to adjust alternator belt tightness

SteveS

So I have a slight squeal when the lights are on and you press the accelerator....so took a look at the new alternator belt tightness (both belts replaced a couple of months back so I'm thinking they have settled in and need a turn or two).

I've turned the adjuster bolt clockwise (which seems counter-intuitive from what I can see) and the belts don't seem to tighten. If I turn the adjuster anti-clockwise then the adjuster bolt just winds out.....it doesn't seem to have a collar on it like the ancillary belt adjuster

Can somebody confirm which way to turn that bolt to tighten the alternator belts?

The adjuster bolt does not seem to have any other nuts or adjustment/tightening devices from what I can see

Have you undone the locking nut on the locking bar? The loosening nut for this is in the centre of the adjusting / idler pulley.

There is a locking nut for the altenator (double) belt, pointing forward. The adjuster turns clockwise (like tightening a bolt) for tightening the belts.

What Frank refers to must be the locking for the W-belt for the AC.

There is a locking nut for the altenator (double) belt, pointing forward. The adjuster turns clockwise (like tightening a bolt) for tightening the belts.

What Frank refers to must be the locking for the W-belt for the AC.

Thanks uHu - this is a picture of the assy - do you mean the bolt that goes the square slider?

Attachments

• Alternator assy 2.jpg
    Alternator assy 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 296
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All done - thanks for the help. No squeaking under load now.

Have you disconnected the heater grid on the intake? That's the biggest "squealer", for 90 secs after starting.

Have you disconnected the heater grid on the intake? That's the biggest "squealer", for 90 secs after starting.

No need - no noise now, tightening the belts has cured the noise. Thought I'd start with the basics.

Disconnecting the heater grid is a basic pm with the aim of increasing the life of your alternator, battery and belts.

Disconnecting the heater grid is a basic pm with the aim of increasing the life of your alternator, battery and belts.
Has disconnecting the air inlet heater caused you any low temp starting problems uhu? I believe norway gets a bit nippy in winter...

No. Not down to minus 20 C at least. Haven't been to the cold parts for a while (edit: colder than -20, that is). The heater grid is a environmental thingy, supposed to give lower emmissions when the engine is cold. It has no effect on starting at our temperatures.
Here's a snippet from the handbook:
ScreenHunter_10 Jan. 19 23.06.jpg

Anyhow, you disconnect by unplugging the little plug on the relay sitting on top of the rhs wheel well. Just plug it in again if temps creep under minus 30 C. Many people just remove the grid completely, in order to have less restiction in the airflow.

Last edited:

:obscene-sexualvlic:

Asking because mine stuck on the other day burning out the relay. Its now disconected and im thinking about which way to go with it. I do like cold starting aids but... the line about reducing diesel knock is interesting.

I must add that carl battled through the snow to give me a jump start when it flatend the battery...:thumbup:

Back