Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FTE engine problem, Help

Martin 61

Country Flag
uk
Please help. Has anybody had and cured the same issue. My 1998 101 Amazon starts misfiring and smoking at at around 3000 RPM. It goes into limp mode over about 2000 RPM when under load. It's worse when warm, any slight incline and the engine management light comes on and the power is reduced.

Very hard to say like that. What error codes do you get? Have to start with that.
Sounds like injector pump issues. When it goes bad it starts giving trouble when warm, loses power. How many km on the car?
But really, start with error codes.

Thanks for the reply. Sadly terminals 4(CG) & 13(TC) of the OBD don't have wires to them so I can't get trouble blink codes. I am also leaning towards the injection pump but its an expensive guess to get wrong so I was hoping someone else had had the same problem.

Start with the simple things, like fuel supply. Check and clean the fuel pickup filter in the tank and change the fuel filter, or circumvent the tank pickup and fuel filter by using a small container of fuel directly feeding the IP.

Another issue could be the particulate filter on the exhaust, if it is blocked. You can normally hear it as exhaust is pushing through the filter, or leaking out somewhere before it. A blocked exhaust often gives a turbo pressure fault code, btw. Could be connected with the EGR filling the intake and exhaust with "tar".

No need to short terminals and decode blinks. The usual ODBII readers can read a limited amount of information, including engine DTC codes, even though the diesel cruisers are MOBD and not ODBII. $20 Techstream cables can read everything.

Yes but they need Tc and CG at the DLC3 to be able to get the data don’t they? I find it incredulous that they’re missing - what’s going on, is this a converted vehicle or something? No reason for them not to be there.

But I agree with uHu, do some basic trouble shooting. But include giving the EDU a good dedicated ground (may well not be the cause but always good to start there with any FTE running issues). Could be the timing control valve wiring too, the symptoms fit to a point - this was a known issue on pre 02 models. Try unplugging, cleaning (contact cleaner or brake cleaner) it and plugging it back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back