Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdfte coolant leak

Mason Schreppel

Country Flag
australia
G'day guys, new to this page I currently own a 2001 hdj100 with the 1hd-fte engine. Lately I have notice of loss of coolant, not much but enough to be having to top it up every few weeks. Upon further inspection, near the oil filter I have noticed a pink crumbly material that I haven't seen before and just want to know if anyone has any clue what this is or have had the problem before. Car runs fine as normal and never overheats? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Screenshot_20190701_171626_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

That’ll be as you probably suspect, a small leak of Toyota’s finest Red Coolant.
Beyond that I cannot help as I don’t own a hundee. Usual things, if it’s a rubber hose, check it hasn’t gone hard, check the clamp is tight, clean off the crusty bits and look to see if the red coolant is oozing out from within the hose wall as sometimes they delaminates and balloon internally, rare but does happen. Finally source a new genuine hose and replace if it a rubber one. If not, more investigation could be in order.

Good luck with it and welcome to the forum.

If you are lucky it's the heater Tee just above, between engine and firewall. It's known to crumble after a few years, depending on heat.
Could be the head though.
Watch level carefully, as there is no low level warning, and it will overheat without the temp meter showing it if there is too little coolant.

Back