Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ 4.2 (no turbo) starts and stops with a bump

CanAmSteve

Country Flag
canada
Hello and thanks for letting me into the club. I've just purchased a well-maintained 2008 4.2L non-turbo LC 76 SW. It has 300K km - mostly highway - and has been well-maintained. It runs flawlessly, but when starting or stopping the engine there is a momentary vibration or "jump" as if it leaps to life.

Is this normal or an indication of an issue? Could it be a worn motor mount? Otherwise it starts immediately and runs sweetly. Many thanks

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

I've got the same engine in mine and it doesn't start or stop with a jump, so i'd say it isn't normal. But other than that I can't be of much help i'm afraid. Engine mount certainly seems like a sensible place to start. Theres a lot of space in the engine bay so should be easy to poke your head around in there and have a look.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some more suggestions.

Nick

I don't seem to have any jump or any vibration either. 1hz about 100k miles

You could try gently jacking up the engine from underneath with a block of wood to spread the jack force. If the engine soon starts to lean left, right, front or back, you’ve got a mount that’s gone bad or parted company. There’s three, one each side and a gearbox one. If it doesn’t lean it’s not so easy to spot but I’d say your issue is with engine mounts as already mentioned.

Back