Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ engine

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi folks,

The manual on this says regular oil service to be done every 3k miles, the engine oil is marked as 'replace' with filter every other service. If driven for mostly short journeys, dusty tracks or under heavy load, this number drops to 1.5k miles. Seems a bit short ?? But how much of this is down to oil quality back in 2001? What do the present day 1hz manuls say about this?

Also the recommended oil is 10w30/semi synth. Toyota in the EU do not sell this oil. What oil are you guys running? What do you recommend ?

Regards,

The Haynes manual gives the same intervals (3K miles or 3 months) for oil changes for the 2H, 12H-T, 1HZ, 1HD-T and 1HD-FT engines. Most non factory manuals tend to just copy data from the FSM so this isn't unusual. If anything the 1HZ could go longer between changes than the turbo charged variants. All these engines are a very old design and quite dirty compared to modern diesels so do require more frequent servicing. Everyone may have their own preference for oil and change intervals but, personally, I go no more than 6k miles between oil (10w40 SS) & filter changes and would be quite happy running a 1HZ the same way.

The Haynes manual gives the same intervals (3K miles or 3 months) for oil changes for the 2H, 12H-T, 1HZ, 1HD-T and 1HD-FT engines. Most non factory manuals tend to just copy data from the FSM so this isn't unusual. If anything the 1HZ could go longer between changes than the turbo charged variants. All these engines are a very old design and quite dirty compared to modern diesels so do require more frequent servicing. Everyone may have their own preference for oil and change intervals but, personally, I go no more than 6k miles between oil (10w40 SS) & filter changes and would be quite happy running a 1HZ the same way.

On the advice of my service guys, I try to change oil and filter at no more than 8k km and I use 10/40 SS too.

It seems to suit it OK.

I run 4.5k miles between changes with a new Toyota filter 10/40 SS. I find the oil is far cleaner out of as 24v. Sometimes I have used the 10/40 long life mineral oil our older trucks use, it has had no effect and you wouldn't know, the engine hasn't self destructed because of it. With good oil and toyota filter 10K services wouldn't hurt the engine.

I run 4.5k miles between changes with a new Toyota filter 10/40 SS. I find the oil is far cleaner out of as 24v. Sometimes I have used the 10/40 long life mineral oil our older trucks use, it has had no effect and you wouldn't know, the engine hasn't self destructed because of it. With good oil and toyota filter 10K services wouldn't hurt the engine.
When I first got mine (1HD-T) they said 9000 miles and nothing but Mobil 1. I've stuck at using Morris's Multivis as so many extols its virtues round here and it exceeds the spec of Mobil one. I think it's 10 W 40 from memory and I use a Toyota filter. Certainly my BEBs were largely unmarked when I changed them after 60,000 miles in Japan and 60,000 over here.

BEB's out of mine, 145K miles SS every 4.5k. !HD-T 95.

DSC00584.jpg

If i'd not bought new bolts I'd have put them back, that said I have seen a lot worse on the forum.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the great feedback, as always!

Regards

I use 15/40 SS oil and a genuine filter change every 5000 miles

Back