Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ High milage diesel oil

womble_

Country Flag
england
Hi

I need to drop the 15w40 Valvoline Super Diesel out my 1HZ to replace it with something more appropriate for a UK winter.

Planning on a 5w40, but not sure which one. I understood that the Valvoline Super Diesel was formulated for high mileage (264k) diesels (although i'm not sure how). A lot of the engine oils seem to be for diesel or petrol.

What are people running in their 1HZs / 1 HDTs?

Hi
Womble

Mate I had a 1hz in my HZJ 105 crusier with a after market turbo on it and I always used the Caltex Delo 400 15/40 Multi grade oil and never had a problem with it but the ambient temps where I live were never as cold as a UK winter. Never the less have a look at it.:icon-idea::icon-idea:

Last edited:
Thanks Beno.

I decided that there seem to be no hard and fast rules with an engine like this. I stuck some shell 5w-40 in it in the end. Better to get some new oil in than researching the perfect one!

Cheapest 10w40 you can buy in the UK is over specified from what Mr T. originally recommended so it really does not matter what you put in. If you want to pamper the engine you can put fancier oil in but it would be a waste if you still kept to the 4500 mile service intervals, especially in a dust free environment.

Thanks Beno.

I decided that there seem to be no hard and fast rules with an engine like this. I stuck some shell 5w-40 in it in the end. Better to get some new oil in than researching the perfect one!

Womble, if you really care about your engine, and you want the million plus km's that it is capable of, there is one factor that does matter with the 1HZ, which is regular oil & filter changes, using quality oil and OE filters. Like everything, you get what you pay for.

My 1HZ works harder than most, and the only oil I would use is Castrol Edge 5W40 TD (yes TD, it has much higher spec additives).

You should also add 2 stroke to your fuel at 2%, to replace the lost lubrication of today's low sulpher / biodiesel-adulterated fuel.

Hope that's of use buddy, feel free to give me a shout if you want to discuss further. All the best for now, Barrie 07739 530124

Last edited:
Everyone has their own thoughts on oil but one fact you can't escape is that the 1H series engines are a very old design and have been clocking up huge mileages on 'inferior' oils long before all the fancy FS oils came out. I run one of the last 1HD-FT engined 80's and the oil specs are easily exceeded by most modern oils, even the some of the so called 'dino' oils. I use a 10/40 SS oil (shell at the moment) which is more than adequate for our British winters IMO. Just because an oil costs £10/L doesn't make it any better for your engine. The only possible benefit to using a modern FS oil is extended drain intervals so if you're sticking to the manufacturers schedule you're wasting money. JMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks

Barrie, I've not heard of adding 2stroke oil before. i think i need re-read a few chapter in Tom Sheppards, Vehicle-dependant expedition Guide. He goes into a lot of detail on fuel and oil (around the world).

I've been changing oil every 5000km and filters every 10k. So the UK manual says oil every 4500 miles? Is it slightly longer due to better fuel quality in the UK?

Last edited:
Hi Womble,
Does that UK manual definitely relate to the HZ engine? I would have thought it more likely to be the HD? I suppose it's irrelevant, the principles are the same.
Either way, the gist of it is that, for the 1HZ, Toyota initially prescribed oil & filter every 5,000km, and then later conceded that every 10,000km would comply.
I recall Tom Sheppard is a big fan of using oil with the highest possible TBN, which I did for years (Castrol Enduron Plus), until lengthy discussions with Castrol.
Choosing the right engine oil is a complicated business (unless you're just looking for lowest price), dependent not just on engine type, but its manner of usage.
On the subject of 2-stroke - remember the 1HZ is a 1990 design, back when there was plenty of sulphur to lubricate fuel pumps, injectors and everything else.
Add 500ml of 2-stroke per 100L of diesel. You will immediately hear and feel the improvement. The engine runs smoother, quieter and genuinely feels stronger.
I wouldn't worry about trying to calculate any fuel savings (whether real or perceived), the only reason for adding 2-stroke is in the interests of engine longevity.
Something else to consider are Forte products (Forte, not cheap imitations). Diesel Treatment, Diff & Gear Treatment, Motor Flush are all well worth looking into.
Other oils: have you changed your gearbox, transfer case and diffs? You should, and there is one oil you can use for them all - Castrol Syntrax Long Life, 75W90.

I appreciate there are those who will feel the above is all unnecessary and wasteful. I have no argument with them, but in my opinion, cheap is never cheerful.
Nor do I have any arrangement with Castrol, Forte, or anyone else for that matter. But I have spent many years researching, and sifting the shit from the clay.
All the best my friend,
Barrie

The 1HZ and indeed most of the other LC variants have been sold in markets where there are some very hostile environments in which the oil has a much herder time. Particularly hot, dry dusty desert type terrain where you could be running in 40 degC+ temps continually enveloped in a cloud of sand/ash/dust etc. Such conditions would dictate more frequent maintenance and oil changes. I never buy 'cheap' oil. I like to shop around and buy good oil cheap but it will never be FS for the LC. I concur with the adding of 2 stroke oil to the fuel and have been doing so for some year now, not for any potential MPG benefits but, as already mentioned, for the protection it gives the IP against modern very low sulphur diesel fuel. I guess any 2 stroke oil will give some protection but I like to use a modern low ash oil to prevent any potential long term deposit build up on the injectors and combustion chambers. JMO

I use 2T in both mine, I'm interested Towpack what low ash oil you use as I use cheap non synthetic 2T

I use Carlube from Morrisons £2.00 for 500ml

mWfqOV-4iiDHeT1SRxd272w.jpg

I use 2T in both mine, I'm interested Towpack what low ash oil you use as I use cheap non synthetic 2T

I use either Castrol Actevo or Castrol Power1 whichever happens to be cheaper at the time. Usually runs between £8 and £10 litre but I've had it as low as £6. I've used Castrol 2 stroke for years in everything from motorcycles and outboard motors to model car engines and garden equipment and never had any issues with engine wear/failiure or engine coking/plug fouling. JMO

Back