Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kz-te Rookie!

Yup. The earth is on the filter housing. Make sure these are good.
Beau, I didn't see any on there.... Ill take a better look asap. Thanks
Also I have two batteries in, the one on the right (if facing the ride) had a loose ground connector. But this battery also has a ground running to the engine. I took a closer look and it goes under the vacuum pump area. Should that go to the oil filter housing instead?

Let's hope it is sorted.
I drive automatics only since 2008, and on a couple of cars I had issues with the gearbox, it was all the time electrical. They have inside some electro valves and actuators very sensitive to voltage drops, and tough the car shows no fault, it can be a pain to diagnose..
In theory an earth connection does not matter where it is located on the body of the car as long as it is good.
If you have a ground going to the engine, engine must have as well a ground going from the engine to the body.
Most engines sit on bumpers to insulate vibration so they have their own ground to the body.
Some explanations here
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/electrical-loose-engine-ground.html

Last edited:
Let's hope it is sorted.
I drive automatics only since 2008, and on a couple of cars I had issues with the gearbox, it was all the time electrical. They have inside some electro valves and actuators very sensitive to voltage drops, and tough the car shows no fault, it can be a pain to diagnose..
In theory an earth connection does not matter where it is located on the body of the car as long as it is good.
If you have a ground going to the engine, engine must have as well a ground going from the engine to the body.
Most engines sit on bumpers to insulate vibration so they have their own ground to the body.
Some explanations here
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/electrical-loose-engine-ground.html
Came out this morning and couldn't move... Started fine but when I put it in reverse, nothing... Engine revs but doesn't move.. In any gear, wont budge. Ill check all you've suggested tomorrow. Thanks for your assistance

Check your fluid level. This is best done when hot to the hot marks on the dipstick. Engine needs to be running and had the gearbox cycle through all gears. Otherwise check plugs are mated fully and there is no corrosion present.

Trace the wires from the Gearbox. I am pretty certain my truck has the autobox earth wires around the oil filter area. Remove the airbox to see more clear.

Check your fluid level. This is best done when hot to the hot marks on the dipstick. Engine needs to be running and had the gearbox cycle through all gears. Otherwise check plugs are mated fully and there is no corrosion present.
SC, The fluid is over the hot level.... I might have put a bit much for a sump only change? About 4" above the top hot mark.... Changed it last weekend and also cleaned some electrical plugs on the transmission but only the ones from under. I will check all tomorrow. And everything else that was suggested.
Thanks StarCruiser

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trace the wires from the Gearbox. I am pretty certain my truck has the autobox earth wires around the oil filter area. Remove the airbox to see more clear.
Beau Thanks for your assistance I will check and clean all wires ,plugs and also the earth wires. Will be working on it tomorrow..

Ok guys here's an update. Alternator 100A fuse was bridged during the engine rebuild.(was damaged). So I put in a new one. Cleaned plug connectors. I also found a wire that might be the earth wire Beau spoke of, it was damaged..(Don't really know if that's the one he spoke of). I drained some oil as it was way to much.(Hot mark even when cold)Smelled sort of like burned oil. When i got it to the right level I cycled the gears a few times, started, foot on brake and cycled the gears again. Tried R and it made the vehicle shift a bit but not much more, D did the same, then nothing...

IMG_0414.JPG

Ok, stupid question time.
Is it in H or L on the transfer box? Not in ‘N’ (I’m assuming it has an ‘N’ position)

Ok, those are the wires I was talking about. Guess they're not exactly where mine are but around the same area.

Now, I've had those wires loose years ago which caused the box to act 100% like yours. It would be hesitant off the mark and eventually a bit dangerous. Long story short, the box ended up damaged because of those earth wires not tightened down and the box had to be re-built. I hope this isn't your case, but the exact symptom you describe alongside having that broken wire is what happened to me.

Ok, those are the wires I was talking about. Guess they're not exactly where mine are but around the same area.

Now, I've had those wires loose years ago which caused the box to act 100% like yours. It would be hesitant off the mark and eventually a bit dangerous. Long story short, the box ended up damaged because of those earth wires not tightened down and the box had to be re-built. I hope this isn't your case, but the exact symptom you describe alongside having that broken wire is what happened to me.
Worn bands/clutches slipping and burning the ATF Beau?

Ok, stupid question time.
Is it in H or L on the transfer box? Not in ‘N’ (I’m assuming it has an ‘N’ position)
SC, I once had the 4x4 shift leaver sort of jump out of place and it did the same thing rev but didn't move. So I checked that by removing the center console and removed the 4x4 shifter to see if that was the case. And it wasn't. Ive tried H,H1,L...But nothing. Gauge shows it's in H right now.

WoW....That kinda stings.... Only been a few months since the engine rebuild...... Say it ain't so Beau....Say it ain't so man....... How can I confirm this? Someone told me today it could be a solenoid in the transmission along with a blocked filter. What do you think? And what would you guys do in a situation like this?

I'm not too sure what those ground wire controls but it was clear in my case that over a matter of couple months it had chewed up the trans. In my case, when the first head cracked, I took it to a shop that swapped a low mileage import engine into it. They however forgot to tighten down those earth cables and couple months of wondering why the trans wouldn't function probably led to that discovery. However, it was too far gone and the trans got re-built. Such a simple mistake led to a hefty repair bill.

Auto trans aren't as complicated as I once thought, but I imagine it's the clutches that go. I don't see how the solenoids can fail. They aren't known to unlike other box manufacturers. The clutch packs themselves aren't too expensive, but it's the labor that jacks up the price with such a repair.

IF the box is truly messed up, you're best finding a cheap second hand box. However, I see you're not from the UK and this may be tough for you to source. Do remember that these boxes are in tons of other trucks too. Box code is A343F.

• 1990-1996 Toyota Hilux Surf 4x4 - 2.4 & 3.0 (4x4)
  • 1993-2014 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (3.0l,2.7l)
  • 1995-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 80-series (4x4)
  • 1998-2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 100-series (4x4)
  • 1996-1998 Lexus LX 450 (4x4)
  • 1998-2002 Lexus LX 470 (4x4)
  • 2005-2014 Toyota Fortuner V 2.7 At (4x4)
According to Wiki.

I'm not too sure what those ground wire controls but it was clear in my case that over a matter of couple months it had chewed up the trans. In my case, when the first head cracked, I took it to a shop that swapped a low mileage import engine into it. They however forgot to tighten down those earth cables and couple months of wondering why the trans wouldn't function probably led to that discovery. However, it was too far gone and the trans got re-built. Such a simple mistake led to a hefty repair bill.

Auto trans aren't as complicated as I once thought, but I imagine it's the clutches that go. I don't see how the solenoids can fail. They aren't known to unlike other box manufacturers. The clutch packs themselves aren't too expensive, but it's the labor that jacks up the price with such a repair.

IF the box is truly messed up, you're best finding a cheap second hand box. However, I see you're not from the UK and this may be tough for you to source. Do remember that these boxes are in tons of other trucks too. Box code is A343F.

• 1990-1996 Toyota Hilux Surf 4x4 - 2.4 & 3.0 (4x4)
  • 1993-2014 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (3.0l,2.7l)
  • 1995-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 80-series (4x4)
  • 1998-2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 100-series (4x4)
  • 1996-1998 Lexus LX 450 (4x4)
  • 1998-2002 Lexus LX 470 (4x4)
  • 2005-2014 Toyota Fortuner V 2.7 At (4x4)
According to Wiki.
Ok.... Problem and always a solution.
Thanks Beau good info as always. I have sourced one when I added the 4x4 chain and honestly I will buy it just to have the parts. But later would be grater...
Here's what happened in my case..
Friday jumped in after work and it was a bit sluggish in Reverse. (Slight)
Saturday outing by the lake, it was even more apparent that something was wrong. (backing up for a view..)
On the way back, a tempting shortcut got me stuck in the mud...
So I threw it in N, shifted into L and got a little deeper in the mud.. R or D was just slipping.. Pretty much ran through all gears..
No winch.... Right front tire about half way. Left rear tire the same..
So... Jacked that left side and propped under the tire. (ground looked like a walk over)
Was in the process of digging and ready to try and prop the right front side when help arrived...
This is when I realized I needed to add some toys....(winch is a must)
So I'm out..Or am I... Still needed to get through shallow water to get back to the road...
Back on the road and the headache starts.....
I drive for about 500 yards, and can feel the revs increase but the torque is gone...
Stopped turned off the engine, and checkout under the hood and under carriage..
No water in the oil or Trans. No visible leaks.(1 that we'll talk about later. intercooler venturi hose is for hilux)(original-17341-67010).
Started and check trans for water. No smells as if something burned.Started fine,perfect actually.
Again we're off....
After a short lived yeaaah..
Same thing happened few mins later..
Pulled over turned off.. Checked everything I could think of...
Didn't know about the earth wire nor did I see the one wire cut..
I had to repeat this process to get home.....(motel for the night)
In the AM drained the trans and refilled with Toyota ATF T-lV..
Oil looked a bit dark.(no water or foam)
Ok so oil changed and 2miles to house...Made it half way and i had to stop and restart to continue.
struggled to climb off the road (asphalt) into the flat driveway..
And that's where I'm left.... It wont budge either gear or direction...
The work that I've done so far is cleaned all the connector plugs for the trans, repaired that earth wire and changed the alternator fuse. drained the trans again.(drained to set the proper level)
But when i saw and smelled the oil (light burn smell) Ive decided to let it drain completely.
I bought fresh blood for the trans(again) but I'm now thinking i should add a new filter and check whats happening under that trans pan....
Does the solenoid that assists with the pressure also have a little strainer on top?
Engine starts fine. (haven't started at the moment)

Thanks for any suggestions as I'm sure all of you here know that feeling of looking through the window and seeing your, "joy" just sitting there injured....lmao

Toyota ATF T-lV.jpg

Sounding like clutch packs/bands to me. Sorry, the struggling sounds like slipping internally.

I know what you mean about that feeling.

Sounding like clutch packs/bands to me. Sorry, the struggling sounds like slipping internally.

I know what you mean about that feeling.
SC, there is no sound coming from trans. If it were slipping would I hear or feel anything? A grinding or something?

I know nothing about automatics but reading your description of what happened prompted me to wonder how often you use your transfer box . Gearbox is not connected to the wheels if your transfer box fails . Have you drained that yet ?

SC, there is no sound coming from trans. If it were slipping would I hear or feel anything? A grinding or something?
I’ve no idea Sam, maybe @Beau can throw some light on that one.
His experience sounds closest to yours. Fingers crossed it’s not your box. Worth analysing the atf for metal particles.

Back