Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1KZT (KZJ70) Power Steering Pump

ModelMakerMan

Country Flag
england
Anyone know much about these, ever rebuild/serviced/replaced one? Im assuming it is gear driven off the timing gears?

Mine seems to be leaking fluid from the pump housing. After hearing horror stories from 80 series owners about gear driven power steering pumps seizing and killing engines I thought I should get mine sorted asap!

mine has had a slight leak for a while Dave. :thumbdown:

ive been intending on buying an overhaul kit and rebuilding it. seems good value as it uses genuine parts. :thumbup:

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=667&vid=1093

one thing i recently read in 4wd action magazine, in a bush mechanics article, was that to stop power steering leaks, you can put a cap full of brake fluid in the power steering reservoir. this swells the seals and stops the leak. :think:

Derrr! Should have checked Rough Trax! :shifty: Thanks Ben :thumbup:

I think mine has been leaking for a while but Ive not noticed because there is not a noticable amount of fluid loss from the reservoir. It was the dark trail in the Lincomb mud that made it easier to spot. :roll:

If the horror stories from the 80 series guys are correct I reckon its best fixed sooner rather than later. Hopefully its easy to remove, does one of your books show how to remove and rebuild it? Mine shows a belt driven pump which must be from a different engine (2LT?) and isnt very helpful in this case! :doh:

Didn't intend to scare you too much with the horror stories David, you will hear the power steering pump whining when under load if the fluid level is low and the steering assist will be intermittent so it easy to tell when you are having issues. I would recommend stopping and topping up with fluid when you get these symptoms so it does not turn into a horror story.

cant see it in the 1KZT factory service manual on my netbook. will have a proper look in the actual book tomorrow, as its in my workshop. :)

if you want a PDF copy of any of the FSM's let me know and i will email them across to you. :thumbup:

Im not too worried to be honest as its not losing a noticeable amount of fluid, Im just very aware how rare and expensive these engines are becoming now and dont want to have any reason to have to replace mine.

Just another thing to add to the list, thinking the truck will be off the road July and Aug so I can:
Rebuild the front hubs and swivels (with my shiny Trail Gear stuff)
Replace cambelt, thermostat and possibly water pump (will inspect it and see what condition its in)
Fit new rear pinion seal (I blame Lincomb :p)
Repair the power steering pump and adjust the steering box
Fit new injectors and glow plugs (think they are still the originals, not doing bad for 180k miles really!)

Time and money permitting:
Address a few rusty bits
Buy and fit an intercooler and have the fuel pump serviced and tweaked
Replace the CB radio I fried at Lincomb :oops:

The list keeps getting longer, wish I had a big pot of money and Ben's motivation/time machine!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Guys,

I know that my pump is an older series - 60 - but I've an on-going problem with my PS pump. Sometime back it started to leak and about a year ago I got a rebuild kit for it. Having spent a lot of time on i8mud it became apparent that re-manufactured pumps don't work because the bush and shaft are machined together and honed at Mr Toyota's emporium and Mr T won't supply the re-manufacturers with the relevant parts. So if the shaft is worn then a rebuild kit doesn't really work, as I found out.
Then add to that Toyota no longer make the ps pump for the early 60 series and none are to be found in Europe apparently but I have another pump (s/hand) on the way so hopefully that will be okay. If that doesn't work then I'll have to bite the bullet and lay out £550 on the later pump and get a later engine mount to make it fit.
But the main reason for telling you my ps pump woes is; are you aware of the sort of pressures that this kit runs at - 60 series runs at 1067psi and many pumps run at up to 1500psi. No wonder that they blow the odd seal.
Just checked on a friend's BJ73 - that is a ZF pump and runs at 1100psi

Regards,

If anyone needs a power steering Pump, I think I have one in my garage laying about somewhere.

It was off a 1KZT engine, and was in good working order beforehand. I can get some pictures up for those who are interested!

Back