Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2.4 Head.....advice please

wobbly

Garage
Okay, thought I would change the rocker gasket as part of a leak solving exercise.

As in other post, I found that at the back of the head , on the smooth lip that the rocker gasket sits on, was a section about 20mm wide that was about 1mm lower.

I thought that maybe it was a hard section of sealant, so tried to scrape it.....got a bit of a surprise!

The lower section came out!!

At the back of the head is a semi-circular hole - there is then an insert which sits in it. This insert is about 1mm too shallow, hence the 1mm depression.

Photo here - you can see the lip of the head, and the semi-circular cut-out:

photo3.jpg

Here is the insert:

photo5.jpg

Another shot:

photo2.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

It was sealed with gasket sealant, I guess I can do the same, then fill the depression with sealant - the new gasket should close the gap with a bit of blue hylomar.

Any thoughts.

Pete

I might be worrying a bit too much.

I had a look at milners site, and the attached link shows a photo of a recon head - on the right side you can clearly see a semi-circular cut-out - maybe its to allow access to a bolt at that end of the camshaft?

On the toyota EPC I also found reference to a semi-circular plug.

Someone puit me out of my misery and tell me what its all about.....

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

not sure

but on my pageros when i ran them they all had something similar.

hopefully someone else will chip in to help you.

Well, whatever it is, its blue hylomared back in place, with the new gasket also hylomared across the back end to create an oil tight seal across the top. I managed to get the plug top level with the head lip.

Unless the engine is overly worn this rocker cover shouldn't be pressurised, I will run it for a few days and then check for leaks.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers

Pete

Yep deffinitley a half round plug in the back of the 2.4 and 3 ltr heads.
Just need to glue it in position, just as you have done.
Best of luck with sealing your motor, I'm just about to start to try and locate a leak on mine....I think? it might be the oil cooler/oil filter housing laking, but can't get in there to look properly. :(

I had a leak on my last filter, put on a new filter (toyota one), leak now stopped - so either old filter wasnt a good fit, or not fitted properly. They are tight to get on, and the usual smear of oil on the seal necessary,

I havent started the truck since reseating the rocker - I need to replace the turbo pipe that is split first, but hopefully the new gasket is oil tight, fingers crossed.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back