Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2.4 Lj vs 2.4 surf engines

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys ... i'm going to be honest and say i know nothing about either engine ...except that the 2.4 surf lump suffers from head issues.

i've been told the 2.4 Lj unit doesn't have this issue .... can anyone confirm or dispell this please ..

I thought they are the same engine?

Hi Carl,i run both an lj70 2.4 and a surf(the 3.0td) and to be fair i,ve never had any overheating issues.i,ve run and totally abused 2.4 surfs in the past and never had any over heating issues but look on ebay and you,ll see a lot of the 2.4 surfs either have overheating problems or have recently had a new head and/or water pumps and radiators.Thers a lot more surfs knocking around than lj70s but its quite likely they have the same potential problems.theres a lot of thoughts on this matter on the landcruiser/surf forums and to be honest i,m still not sure which are opinion and which are fact.this is what i,ve read in the past and you can make of it what you will
1-Does this engine overheat first and crack its head or do cracks appear and cause the engine to overheat?The theories range from
a)the 2L cylinder head not being quite up to the job when Toyota bolted a turbo onto it
b)a bad batch of heads from manufacture with an inherent design flaw
c)the import motors from Japan being set up for a different climate and running too hot from the off when they come over here
d)people just not maintaining the cooling system or checking coolant levels for any early warning of potential problems
e)the early LJ 2.4,s with mechanical pumps(1988 T0 1990 i think) being better than the efi controlled later engines with regard to head cracking
i,m in the process of tweaking my lj70 for off roading which involves an intercooler,running much higher boost and overfueling it like a beast so in a couple of monthes il probably be in a position to tell you exactly how much abuse a 2.4 head can take!There,s a lot of people on this forum with way more mechanical knowledge than me who may have more informed input on this matter

Both the 2.4 lt or lt/e engine depending on ignition.

If its an option, avoid it.

The later 3.0 engine is somewhat better, but even then can have head issues - bear in mind the age now though - most early 90's fords are long gone.....

Best option if you have a 2.4 and no choice...fit the 3L head off the 2.8 engine, should resolve the issues, but at some cost.

Did I mention its underpowered......

And after all that, I really like mine, prefer it to the HSE Disco 4, which I'm $h*t scared of scratching!

Pete

rikm

Lots of photos and a write up on the intercooler please!

Pete

That's Excellent info .. thanks :thumbup:

a write up and pics of the intercooler install would be greatful too :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yep i,l definately post pictures of the intercooler mod.i,ve had the intercooler and the bonnet scoop sitting round for a month now but messing around with the e locker has taken all my spare time over the last few weeks.i,ve not cut the bonnet yet but i tried the bonnet scoop up for size the other night
2a6p4ef.jpg

id also be interested to see some pics and info on the intercooler. :thumbup:

i fitted one to mine, but need to get the boost and fuel pressure tweaked up a bit, but im not really sure how to do it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8782&start=10

ben said:
id also be interested to see some pics and info on the intercooler. :thumbup:

i fitted one to mine, but need to get the boost and fuel pressure tweaked up a bit, but im not really sure how to do it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8782&start=10

hmmmm ...interesting read .... i happen to already have a front mounted intercooler off of a 2.8 frontera (and all the pipe work) :thumbup:

Maybe worth starting a new thread specifically for intercooling LJ's, plenty of interest I reckon.

Pete

this is where i,ve got all the ideas for intercooling
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/performance.htm
thers a lot of useful stuff and pictures as well regarding intercooling and boosting the turbo pressure.the opinion seems to be having a fairly big exhaust(2 1/2 to 3 inch from turbo to tail pipe) will help disperse the much hotter exhaust gases.theres nothing about tuning the fuel pump that i could see.as my lj isnt a daily driver i was gonna try a suck it and see approach which could probably end in some serious engine damage if i get it too wrong.failing that consulting the very knowledgable Mr Roger Fairclough for a few ideas

Back