Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 din head unit car stereo - aftermarket infotainment - conversion

Jureb

So I was thinking of getting a multimedia head unit stereo which supports dash cam, rear camera, park sensors, apple carplay / android auto etc. Most of these modern units are 2-din which is 100 mm in height. My car's panel has a 1-din slot which 50 mm in height. I was thinking if I should cut the panel to fit 2-din radio or should I buy a new panel that has a 2-din hole for the unit... Did anyone do something similar? Suggestions?

Current situation:
1611529085529.png
1611529159740.png

Maybe get this (in wood) to fit the unit?
1611529282208.png
1611529061621.png

What year and model yours is? Never seen a 1 DIN centre console in Colorado or even imported Prado...

I fitted a double DIN in mine, by just removing the bottom cubby hole ( for keys etc.) and it opened up the slot for 2 DIN.

Pretty straightforward but you will need a matching “cage” for the bottom half to allow you to secure the bigger screen.

Last edited:
2002 year, with a D-4D engine (1KD-FTV), left hand long wheelbase VX

Last edited by a moderator:
The double DIN fits fine - I have a Pioneer AVH series in mine with minimal gaps.

Very odd seeing that single DIN!!

He may not need the bigger cage if he gets a unit that has a single DIN backing. Mine fit straight into the old radio's mounting bracket.

I installed the Sony XAV AX 5000 and it works like a charm. Only lacking in dash cam support but doesn't bother me.

Attachments

• 20210125_094344.jpg
    20210125_094344.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 72
  • g158XAV5000-i.jpg
    g158XAV5000-i.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 69
You also have a 1 din slot like myself? Your unit looks very good with the screen overhang on the lower side. Do you know any other units like this?
Do you have to use the usb cable connected to your phone to use google maps navigation or is it wireless?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No, my fascia had the double DIN spacing (never seen one like yours) but I'm referrring to the bracket that holds the unit in place. With my head unit it fits into the single din bracket.

Does the pocket under your head unit not pull out? Mine had a blanking plate with 'TOYOTA' on it, that just pulled out, and the Pioneer Double din fit in perfectly.

Does the pocket under your head unit not pull out? Mine had a blanking plate with 'TOYOTA' on it, that just pulled out, and the Pioneer Double din fit in perfectly.
The black "pocket" under the radio comes out but the "wooden" frame stays as it is a part of the whole piece.
I am surprised that I might be the only one here with this kind of panel...
1611609073923.png

This (not mine - screen grab from an ad) would be typical of what every 90 sold on this island would have come with new. The panel below the head unit simply popped out . I believe in some markets (UK included) there was a double din Sony unit as a factory option on the VX

Screenshot_20210125-214110_DoneDeal.jpg

Interesting. I suppose I will have to cut my panel to make a 2 din hole if I don't get a good 1 din unit like Giovanni has.

Very nice fit, which unit is this? Where does your usb cable come out?

This is a very old Pioneer AVH-P6850DVD. It's quite old, I'm guessing 2009ish. No navigation or Android auto etc, but it did come with an iPod module (since removed) and a Bluetooth module I use now. Does have a reversing camera though.

También me gustaría poner un 2DIN y me gustaría comprar un panel de radio como el de la primera foto con el reloj a la izquierda, pero no sé dónde puedo encontrarlo.

Back