Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200 series Vs 100 series

Julio Era

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All

I have a 2003 100 series diesel and have a dilemma. I am looking to do some long term travelling and normally keep my vehicles for a few years.

I notice that there is a fair bit of rust underneath and will need some work on her to make her a good base vehicle before I would start overland prepping. Plus she is now 14 years old.

I have been reading up on the 200 series and whilst there are lots of electronics etc seem like a great vehicle a and I can get a much newer model. I will be looking to keep the vehicle for probably 10 years so would make more sense to take the price hit and get the 200 series and prep that.

They are not sold in he U.K. anymore which is a shame.

Be good to get your guys thoughts.

Thanks

Jay

Hi All

I have a 2003 100 series diesel and have a dilemma. I am looking to do some long term travelling and normally keep my vehicles for a few years.

I notice that there is a fair bit of rust underneath and will need some work on her to make her a good base vehicle before I would start overland prepping. Plus she is now 14 years old.

I have been reading up on the 200 series and whilst there are lots of electronics etc seem like a great vehicle a and I can get a much newer model. I will be looking to keep the vehicle for probably 10 years so would make more sense to take the price hit and get the 200 series and prep that.

They are not sold in he U.K. anymore which is a shame.

Be good to get your guys thoughts.

Thanks

Jay

Yes, but you can still get very low mileage ones.

I'd prep a 200 given the choice. There's a fair few now that have traversed continents and proven themselves to be very reliable vehicles. One of the main issues to sort, depending on where you are going, is that anything other than decent diesel will cause extensive engine damage. Additional filtration is therefore a must.

Yes, but you can still get very low mileage ones.
It won't be long before the components underneath of a 200 will look like a 100. the oldest are 9 years old now and, having been under a sub30K one ( on the ramp) it is evident that they are no better protected from the sandblasting effect of dust and grit than any other LC.
The only way to keep one really tidy is to get the best one possible and treat it with say "Kurerust" then paint it all with the polyurethane type chassis paint we have used on trucks in the past as it seems to resist the abrasive tendencies.
All this work, of which I am as guilty as anyone else, will only benefit you if you intend to keep the truck 20 years ( I kept the Chevy for 17) otherwise the main beneficiary will be the next owner. I guess its a case of " if you like doing this kind of remedial work for pleasure.

Back