Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2002 Toyota Prado GF-RZJ95W-GGPSK Immobilizer dash light (key in truck) flashing

HEB

Country Flag
canada
Hello Land Cruiser enthusiasts.

I'm new to this forum business but think it may be my only resource in terms of resolving a couple of issues I'm having with my 2002 Toyota Prado Land Cruiser (MODEL - GF-RZJ95W-GGPSK), which by the way, is the BEST field vehicle I have ever owned. It can go pretty much anywhere... and get back.

First off, what I believe it the Immobilizer dash Light (the little key in a truck light on the dash) is flashing. I have had the truck parked for a couple of months and while doing the weekly startup I notice this dash light flashing, even before I unlocked the truck with the remote. Is this normal and I just didn't notice it before? Or is this a signal that I need to reprogram my key? I'd look it up in my manual but it's in Japanese. This leads to my second question...

Can anyone point me in the direction of a repair manual for this amazing vehicle - 2002 Toyota Prado Land Cruiser (MODEL - GF-RZJ95W-GGPSK)? I'm in Canada and can neither find a solution to the light problem or a repair manual.

Thanks for what ever help you can provide.

HEB

Immobiliser light flashing whilst the key is out is normal.

If it happens with the key in then the immobiliser hasn't detected the key and should prevent starting.

There is a scan floating around the internet, maybe search for VZJ95 or KZJ95 manual as it covers all 3. Alternatively if it's only a couple of things you want to know let me know and I'll take some pics of mine.

An interesting variant of the 90 series, with a smaller 4 cylinder petrol unit. I take it that its imported to Canada somehow, and wasn't sold there new. It would be a rare sight over there I would imagine. These trucks are well able to hold their own in any environment, and I hope it serves you well.

As said, the flashing light is normal, just tells you the immobiliser is working. Full repair manuals can be got on eBay etc for reasonable amounts too. Most common things will e found by searching the forum here, which will apply equally to yours, apart from the engine, the rest will be identical I would imagine.

You guys are amazing. I have received more information about my Prado from you in 6 hours than in all of my internet searches to date. Thank you. I have now downloaded the owner's manual and look forward to reading the English version :)

I will hope that you are correct about the flashing light, Adventure_Wagon and Bob and that I simply did not notice it. My concern was that, though the truck starts now, it may lock me out as one site suggested. This is something Toyota Canada would love to charge me thousands to fix... if they would even touch the truck. They are not too fond of Japanese imports (i.e. Right hand drives) in Canada.

Bob, I can't believe how much information you gleaned from a model number. Yes, I purchased it third hand and it is a rare site on the Canadian roads. It is the only truck I've ever used on logging roads that can make it through the short, steep cross ditches common in British Columbia.

Thank you all.
HEB

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah I know what you mean with the immobiliser, I worry about that too, but with the factory systems they are usually more reliable than the aftermarket systems. Do you have more than 1 key?

Worse case the computer, immobiliser coil, and keys are small so you should be able to source these from an overseas wrecker.

I don't think I've ever heard of an immobiliser failing on these. Think of it as a security light for onlookers. As we always say, a few photos of the truck are always good, and ask away, you'll find plenty of good knowledge around here.

I would like to visit BC some time, landscapes look incredible in the mountains

Thanks for the support everyone.
Yes, I do have spare keys but just one remote key; something I hope is easily resolved.
Attached is a photo of my Prado at work. With only a centimetre to spare at each tire, the big trucks would still be pushing rocks.

Attachments

• Prado_at_Work.jpg
    Prado_at_Work.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 44
That truck looks very much at home there HEB. I am a firm believer that the 90 series design has aged very well

I do think the American built full-size trucks are generally too big to be really useful in tight environments, but then there aren't that many of those on the prairies or the suburban streets I suppose. A guy in the town nearest me has a Ford F350 dually that he imported (complete with twin chrome stacks) and the thing looks ridiculous on Irish rural roads.. same footprint as a Scania tractor unit.

Bob, I can't imagine a Ford F350 dually fitting on an Irish road. It would take out all of your lovely fusias.

The Owner's Manual is great to have thank you but can anyone recommend a good aftermarket repair manual? In Canada we have Haines but I don't know which ones are the most comprehensive for a 2002 Toyota Prado Landcruiser GF-RZJ95W-GGPSK.

HEB

Max Ellery would be another option, although I'd be surprised if your engine was in there, as the 3.4 V6 was the petrol option in most RHD markets

Toyota Prado, 1996-2006 : Automobile Repair Manual: Amazon.co.uk: Ellery, Max: 9781876720032: Books - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Most common issues will be comprehensively described in threads here - lower ball joints, handbrake, rust, tail door hinge clunk, UJs on the driveshafts.. no real funny ones to worry about. Some of us have put big mileage on these with very little except routine maintenance

Prado 1996-2009 (95 and 120 series) Haynes has the 2.7L petrol engine in it, if thats any help.

The remote part and the immobiliser part of the key are user programmable. So if you get a new remote key you should be able to get it cut by a local locksmith then pair it yourself. Lots of pairing instructions on the web but you have to do the immobiliser and the remote lock separately.

Thanks Bob and Karl2000. I'll order the Haynes version for my four cylinder Prado. It will be a good test of international purchasing.

Adventure Wagon: The only pairing instructions I found were for a 2001 left hand drive. Do you know of some pairing instructions for the 2002 right hand drive Prado or should they be the same?

How about this mate, scroll down to ducktape's post

If your key is a remote and key combined you'll maybe get better searches for Colorado as this is what the Prado 90 was called in the UK, also a RHD market.

In Australia, the other big RHD market full of Prado lovers the 90 was supplied with a seperate key and teardrop shaped remote.

They might be functionally identical, so the instructions may work for both but I'm not sure.

Thanks Adventure Wagon and Duct Tape.
By the way... what is a: Colie D4D LWB?
HEB

The 90 series was badged Landcruiser Colorado in the UK (only UK I beleive and shortened to Collie by many owners), badged Prado in Asia/Australia and just Landcruiser in the rest of Europe I also think it was called Meru in S.America and built up until about 2008.

LWB is just long wheel base

D4D is Toyota's generic name for 4 cylinder Diesel engines built after 2001.

This quiz is easy.. :p

Back