Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2006 3ltr D landcruiser j120

will12lee

Country Flag
uk
recently bought my Toyota in August . had new high pressure fuel pump and timing belt fitted 1month ago . Just wondering what the vibration is when im at light and in drive sometime can be quite shaky and sometimes can be smooth any idea thank .

Is that only when its cold?

I've noticed the truck vibrates a bit when its cold and I sometimes stick it in N at the lights. Once its warmed up though, the vibration stops.

Lets see if everyone elses's does the same...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd probably just tighten the throttle cable a little without giving it much thought .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i will give that a try and let use know thanks for the advice

Is that only when its cold?

I've noticed the truck vibrates a bit when its cold and I sometimes stick it in N at the lights. Once its warmed up though, the vibration stops.

Lets see if everyone elses's does the same...
I think all 120s do it when engine is cold in D when you stop at the lights more so in cold weather or when engine is cold in very hot weather 30 to 40 centigrade with A/C on , I had a Lexus 40l V8 many moons ago in the UK and that did the same until the engine warmed up , I think its when the idle speed is higher and in drive and the brake is on the car wants to go forward , if you put it in neutral (I always do at lights etc ) it will save transmission and torque convertor wear and atf premature aging in my opinion .

my 120 does it sometimes,hot or cold,so as Tony said it's very easy to put it into neutral when you're stopped
which must save wear on engine mountings,ATF and transmission etc
I don't think it's anything to be concerned about but if you're new to 120's it's a bit worrying...

You should change the atf even though toyota say its not necessary unless you use the 120 for towing , the 5 speed holds 11 liters , if you drain the sump and jack the front end up you can get around 3.75 liters out , but you must refill with WS standard ATF , I did a flush about 18 months ago and got out 10.6 litres out including the 3.75 out of the sump by draining fluid out of the return pipe of about 1.5 litres at a time and refilling the same amount every time I took it out , I did it with the transmission cold so the the refill was the exacted same amount ( hot ATF expands so if you put back the same cold atf level you take out when hot you can overfill the transmission ) anyway I took out 10.6 litres and put back 10 litres of synthetic toyota WS made by Mannol and 2x 300mil of platinum lube guard ATF protectant to protect the seals and torque converter . the auto box was smooth already but since the lube guard seems even smoother (unless its my imagination) as well as the car only vibrates slightly when engine is cold in drive and stationary , the platinum lube guard is supposed to eliminate torque converter shudder as well as protect the atf at high temps so makes the atf last longer .

You should change the atf even though toyota say its not necessary unless you use the 120 for towing , the 5 speed holds 11 liters , if you drain the sump and jack the front end up you can get around 3.75 liters out , but you must refill with WS standard ATF , I did a flush about 18 months ago and got out 10.6 litres out including the 3.75 out of the sump by draining fluid out of the return pipe of about 1.5 litres at a time and refilling the same amount every time I took it out , I did it with the transmission cold so the the refill was the exacted same amount ( hot ATF expands so if you put back the same cold atf level you take out when hot you can overfill the transmission ) anyway I took out 10.6 litres and put back 10 litres of synthetic toyota WS made by Mannol and 2x 300mil of platinum lube guard ATF protectant to protect the seals and torque converter . the auto box was smooth already but since the lube guard seems even smoother (unless its my imagination) as well as the car only vibrates slightly when engine is cold in drive and stationary , the platinum lube guard is supposed to eliminate torque converter shudder as well as protect the atf at high temps so makes the atf last longer .
thanks alot guys ill let use know how i get on when got time to do it cheers . any advice where to buy a skid plate from possibly just the front part as mine is split but when been looking there all come as 1 piece .

That's interesting Rob. In negotiations with the Mrs if she wants to keep the 120, if so I'll be changing the injectors on mine

As DH, several of us on here got the same as his from Poland, 3 parts, very well made for not much money.

That's interesting Rob. In negotiations with the Mrs if she wants to keep the 120, if so I'll be changing the injectors on mine

80,000 miles on the replacements now. Have to do it again in a year or two!

Back