Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2010 200 5.7 V8 oill drain plug problems

NV14

Country Flag
united_states
Use caution removing and reinstalling engine oil drain plug. Threads in oil pan subject to deterioration. Dealer temp fix lasted till next oil change. Oil pan cost 650.00 USD installed

Use caution removing and reinstalling engine oil drain plug. Threads in oil pan subject to deterioration. Dealer temp fix lasted till next oil change. Oil pan cost 650.00 USD installed
Is this a common problem? Screwthreads usually fail because of cross threading or overtightnig.Unless it's a quality control problem or poor materials but unlikely from Toyota.I'm interested in hearing what the dealer had to say on the causes...

I have owned Toyota products since the first FJ40 models were introduced to the U.S. in the late 1950/early 1960 era. Believe me, Toyota is not immune to screw ups altho not as much as the competition seems to be. My dealer dealt with my drain plug problem when it occurred at 150000 miles on my 2010 LC in June 2017 by the use of a fix as taken directly from the repair invoice exactly as written by dealer as follows: "Perform time cert repair for oil pan and install new drain plug. May need oil pan replacement (during oil service, oil pan threads have come out with drain plug and does not ti) The following numbers were included. " 23 body trim 4432CT.1 12121 time cert 190341-12012 plug, w/headstraigh)" This little debacle cost me approx. USD $215.00 which failed at the next scheduled oil change at which time the oil pan was replaced at the cost installed of approx. $821.83 which included pan replacement, oil and filter service and oil filter casing replacement. Also beware of the potential problems created by the use of the antiquated cartridge oil filter system used on these 5.7 iforce engine as opposed to the modern spin on type. My oil filter cartridge was replaced by dealer at 150000 miles and when the next oilservice was performed by the same dealer they claimed that the previous service over tightend the cartridge cap and it could not be removed and the casing had to be replaced. ( dealer made good on this cost) I asked the dealer service manager if the new oil pan had incorporated any fix to the problem and was told that it looked as tho the thread body had been tac welded to the pan same as before My Toyotas have always been serviced at various authorized Toyota dealers with sometimes excellent results , sometimes indifferent results. My attempts at discussion with Toyota Co Customer Service have been unsatisfactory and have been mostly answered with the usual standard issue non committal bull crap. However I am still mostly satisfied with my LC and will probably replace it with another in a few more years. It is an excellent long distant traveler and in my use as a backwoods crawler in Northeast Nevada where my land company is located it has consistently taken me into and out of situations where my Chev Duramax could not. The Crawl portion of the 4WD works wonders for me. One of the best 4WD luxury units available but by no means perfect.

Back