Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2011 LC - Diff Lock Indicator Flashing

MaveriCkQA

Country Flag
qatar
Hello all !
I tried searching some posts but did not find anything specific for LC200 Models.

My issue is i barely drive my LC and just take them out on the weekends as its a family car for outings. Off late i noticed the DIFF LOCK Disengage light on. i obviously tried the pushing of the switch when on N mode but nothing. then i switch off the car for like 10 to 15 seconds and start the car and its fine ...

I did take it to Toyota and they scanned the system using a handheld device and confirmed everything was fine and if the light just keeps on flickering continuously despite any attempts i just need to change the motor directly ..

Does anyone have had this experience and can share a possible solution to this problem. Of course its not "Life Threatening" but i kinda don't like to see the light on and off flicker most of the times.

Appreciate any support :)

Hi , I have a 2008 Sahara and it too has this problem which seems to happen when it is cooler temps, drive it a few Kms and turn off engine then back on and it clears the fault, I know 2 other Sahara's that do the same . I owned a 2008 GXL from new till it got written of in May , the fault never reared its ugly head , there are 3 other gxl's all of the same vintage and no problem there either.
It was suggested by a Toyota Dealer that it may be a dry grease problem on the diff lock mechanism not clearing the switch in the box properly, but I don't agree , I feel it is more a central computer problem as it is only the Sahara that uses a CLIMATE switch in the display area, I not suggesting that this is where the fault lies BUT why not in other models, like you I am not selecting the diff lock function it just decides to start flashing, this also disables the Cruise Control function as well.

Regards Graham

Hi Graham and welcome! [emoji4]

I would love to be able to help on this one especially as you seem to have done some good detective work of your own. I would have gone with the dealer's thoughts of the selector having a fault but your explanation does seem to suggest it is somewhere else.

I have one suggestion which it probably won't like and that is to disconnect the actuator at the plug and seal up the plugs in bags so they don't get dirt or water in them and see how it behaves. As it is computerised, this will more than likely throw up an alarm or something but it may be worth a try and if it doesn't throw a wobbly it would help to eliminate the actuator, or pinpoint the problem to it.

I do suspect you are right with your thought on the computer but it could also be something seemingly unrelated causing the computer to react that way. Interesting it seems temperature related. You could try spraying freezer spray on anything you suspect and see if it brings the fault on.

Beyond this I can only offer generic troubleshooting I'm afraid.

Might be worth finding out what happened to the GXL in between 2008 and 2011 models, maybe a facelift or parts change. If you have a tame parts man at your dealership you might be able to get him to help tell you the differences.

Good luck with it. Sounds like a needle in a haystack.

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Richard,
Yes I have been a Techie for 43 years on various devices from Heavy Earth moving back in the 70s through white goods electronics and power tools so I glad I havnt lost my skills to fault find Horrible intermittent faults like this.
The reason I suspect Computer rather than anything else is because the basic running gear is the same on all models except of course the KDSS suspension, but this particular fault only seems to appear on the early 200 Sahara's, but not had any replies regarding other models yet from members.

So I am toying with the Idea of pulling the display unit out and fitting a GXL central unit, I realise that this will not have a climate touch control and a few other bits But car makers use a generic wiring loom for the range of models and it will have the correct plugs BUT !!!! I don't know whether the computer will have to be remapped !!!.

If I cant get any answers here In Aus I will contact Toyota Direct in Japan and see what happens..

Hi Graham,

Just wondering if you have a solution to this problem?

I have a 2010 GXL petrol and have just started having the same problem

Regards
Bedgy1

Hi Graham,

Just wondering if you have a solution to this problem?

I have a 2010 GXL petrol and have just started having the same problem

Regards
Bedgy1
Hi , yours is the first GXL that I have heard of with this fault, it had not reappeared for some months until I hooked up the caravan for towing , so now I am wondering if it might be stray voltages on the neutral line, as the cars wiring systems are negative switched this could throw up a wobbly on the computer and the 4wd lock is the one that detects it and thinks that it is trying to be activated.
It is an Impossible fault to trace unless the test hub is connected at the time of the fault, but understandably Toyota are reluctant for this as it ties up a computer test hub for an unknown length of time.
I have tried the freeze and heat method but no luck there either, as it is totally random.
I have also found it disables the Low Range switch when it is having its hissy fit.
The fact that yours is a GXL discounts one of theories that is the control media unit that may have had a fault as they are different for the Sahara and GXL and up till now the fault was only in the Sahara.

AHHGGHH the joys of intermittent faults .

Regards Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's beginning to sound like water or a chafed or broken cable. Intermittent faults are a pig to find. I have one on my Smart that is eluding me.
The other thing was, you mentioned trailer. Could it be that the trailer wiring has some part in this? Is there a trailer indicator relay buzzer module thingy? Sometimes if these are aftermarket they aren't fitted as nicely as they could be and can gather water. Haven't an earthly idea why this would affect your diff lock but it's an avenue to look at. Is there something common in the vehicles that have suffered this fault?

I've just had the diff light flashing problem and it was indicating battery failure. I had to jump-start the other day then the diff light started flashing - the following day both batteries were dead, showing only 10.68V. New batteries and the light has gone out.

I've just had the diff light flashing problem and it was indicating battery failure. I had to jump-start the other day then the diff light started flashing - the following day both batteries were dead, showing only 10.68V. New batteries and the light has gone out.

I have just been researching the web for this problem. I have a 2011 GXL Petrol and the flashing has just started overnight. Associated with this I don't appear to be able to engage lo and stability control and crawl control appear to be inoperative.

Just an update on my previous post.
After reading posts here and others on the web I tried disconnecting battery tosee if it would reset. It didn't.
I then put jumpers on to make sure battery was giving sufficient power. No change.
Plugged in aan EDS it showed no fault codes.
Gave up for theday.
Toay backed it out of the garage. Warning still there. Checked battery voltage, it was 12.34.
Neded to go to shops so thought maybe when its all warmed up it would change.
Got home flashing still there. Checked EDS again still no error codsor anyth ing unusual.
5hours later went to put itin the garage. No flashing. Hope this is the end of it. Hate to think I might have van on and be between roadhouses in the middle of nowhere.

Really sorry for the delay but for some reason i did not receive any alerts from this page and kinda got lost in my daily life routine :D

Well i did find a resolution. So if anyone has this problem now can actually try it. I did a lot of research online before trying this. So give it a shot with nothing to loose.

1) If the light is flashing, and you try to use the disengage button, nothing happens at all. So one possibility is that you just shut off the car wait for a few seconds and restart and things should be back to normal.

2) This is the issue what i had despite restarting it would return back again. so take your ride off the road to any dirt side engage your 4x4 in the low gear and once you feel the change you will also notice that your DIFF Lock changes from a flashing light to a constant light. Drive for a few seconds or atleast 10 - 20 meters. Follow the normal process to return the gear to your normal mode and voila. All the flashing lights go out and wont trouble you at all.

This is not the 100% solution, If it still does not work for you, you seriously need to get your Diff Lock Motor checked. But this is a tried and tested solution and for me it still works.

Again there could be gloomy day in which it might happen again, Repeat the same process and it goes away. I might need to grease something but i am not willing to take it to a dealer for a small issue and pay $$$

hope i can brighten up someones day with this solution !

Glad you've found a solution. Did you try disconnecting the actuator temporarily like I suggested in post 3? I would have thought disconnecting it would have cleared it indicating the actuator was giving the signal not the wiring or the ECU.

Now you've pinpointed it to the actuator, it may be worth taking the top off and seeing what happens with the switches. I've no idea if this is possible, but 80 series actuators did suffer with corrosion getting in. Either your actuator is not going fully home, which I doubt, or the switch contact where it sits for months on end, has become corroded or otherwise contaminated.

Might be worth further investigation.

would Def try your suggestion next time it does start flashing. Thank you !!

Been reading this thread and realise that it has been going for a while.
I have a 2008 VDJ200R VX model, so I am not convinced it is a Sahara only problem.
Like others, I believe mine is a temperature issue as it will come right after the gearbox gets hot and I stop and start it.
I have tried all the other things, like reversing it. disconnecting the power supply, running a scan tool over it etc.
When the light is flashing, there is now low range available, no cruise control.
Has anyone found a solution? Not really keen to have Toyota look at it given the comments in the thread previously as they will charge a fortune and tell you nothing.
Cheers
WayneG

I'm facing the same issue with my GXR Petrol Land Cruiser 2010 model, the light keeps flashing. The blinking light comes on particularly when I restart the car after having driven my vehicle with cruise control. It goes off only when I switch off the car and restart after few seconds.
Quite irritating as car can't be engaged into Cruise Control when the light is flashing.

From my experience is with the 76 with OEM double difflocks. These are electrically actuated. there is even a small stone guard covering the rear actuator. After many thousands of KM offroad, some wayward stone managed to cut one of the rear actuators wires as close to the plug as possible. this resulted in very similar symptoms described above.
After much choice language and many hours of fault finding discovered the severed wire (just the core not the covering...) - thereafter it was easy..
my 2 c worth..

Nice one Rob, well done for finding that one. And thanks for posting your findings. :clap::thumbup:

This had all the hallmarks of a cable fault to me. I suspect it may have been down to vibration or flexing rather than a stone as this sort of thing is common on doors that have the wiring run straight rather than in a Z fashion.

Intermittent fault on my Smart… cured with new engine wiring loom despite me testing testing and testing again. Sometimes faults inside cables or connectors don't show up under test but do when under load and moving.

The centre diff seems to need to be moving before it will lock or unlock. No need to be in neutral or stationary, the manual says you can switch it at any speed below 100km/h if I remember correctly. Normally just punch the button when your driving along and all other things being equal, it should lock or unlock. When you're stationary it may flash until you move off.

Really sorry for the delay but for some reason i did not receive any alerts from this page and kinda got lost in my daily life routine :D

Well i did find a resolution. So if anyone has this problem now can actually try it. I did a lot of research online before trying this. So give it a shot with nothing to loose.

1) If the light is flashing, and you try to use the disengage button, nothing happens at all. So one possibility is that you just shut off the car wait for a few seconds and restart and things should be back to normal.

2) This is the issue what i had despite restarting it would return back again. so take your ride off the road to any dirt side engage your 4x4 in the low gear and once you feel the change you will also notice that your DIFF Lock changes from a flashing light to a constant light. Drive for a few seconds or atleast 10 - 20 meters. Follow the normal process to return the gear to your normal mode and voila. All the flashing lights go out and wont trouble you at all.

This is not the 100% solution, If it still does not work for you, you seriously need to get your Diff Lock Motor checked. But this is a tried and tested solution and for me it still works.

Again there could be gloomy day in which it might happen again, Repeat the same process and it goes away. I might need to grease something but i am not willing to take it to a dealer for a small issue and pay $$$

hope i can brighten up someones day with this solution !
Thanks Mate..I was struggling with this problem for quite a while and your solution was stop on! Now this problem has disappered.

Thanks again!

I hate to be the burden of bad news but shifting to 4 lo n back only buys you time. If you are experiencing the locking diff light it’s one of two things.

1. Your kids were playing in you car n hit the button best case!

2. Mice ate through your wiring harness!!!

Back