Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

23mpg!!!

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
After nursing my 90 around town i managed to get 23mpg which i think is pretty good how i worked this out was wait until reserve light came on the put £10 of derv in at £109.7ppl.:dance: Wait until reserve light came on and repeat both times i got 46miles until the res light came on crude calculating but i think it's pretty damn close i could only every get 50miles using the same procedure over 5 years out of my 1.9 derv galaxy (auto) :wtf:

I just said on the phone to the mrs i may as well put some diesel in your truck while i'm here because the lights on , her shocked response was "what you only filled it up a month ago"

what would we do without them eh :lol:

Just run to Newcastle and back from Chesterfield today in the Hilux. That has the 3.0l D4D in it. You'd hope for better I guess, but it just squeaked 30 mpg sitting at 60 - 70 and virtually no town driving.

I didn't buy it to save the planet, but when I had the LC3 125 Cruiser, I only got 29 mpg out of that with pretty much the same motor. So when I got 25 out of the green 4.2 12v 80 you can imagine I was quite pleased!

My LWB collie auto used to give me about 26 mpg and Lil Blue in the 3 door configuration returned 21 on a very good day.

So all in all, I'd say that 23 mpg was quite poor. I think you'd be better to brim it, drive then brim again. It's the only way to really be sure. Litres divided by 4.546 to give galls then miles divided by galls.

:icon-eek:
Just run to Newcastle and back from Chesterfield today in the Hilux. That has the 3.0l D4D in it. You'd hope for better I guess, but it just squeaked 30 mpg sitting at 60 - 70 and virtually no town driving.

I didn't buy it to save the planet, but when I had the LC3 125 Cruiser, I only got 29 mpg out of that with pretty much the same motor. So when I got 25 out of the green 4.2 12v 80 you can imagine I was quite pleased!

My LWB collie auto used to give me about 26 mpg and Lil Blue in the 3 door configuration returned 21 on a very good day.

So all in all, I'd say that 23 mpg was quite poor. I think you'd be better to brim it, drive then brim again. It's the only way to really be sure. Litres divided by 4.546 to give galls then miles divided by galls.
Chris this is ALL town driving and is an auto 3.0:crazy:

Yes I saw that but it does still seem a bit low to me. And oddly the auto seems historically to be marginally more economical than the manual. I've had both. At 23 mpg, I'd buy a petrol version and smile till the top of my head fell off! Ask Andy.

Why can this be so low the car has only done 125k and is very smooth with no smoke or rattles only a little tick when cold from start up that then disappears it does chuff a bit black when revved as all old diesels so whats the answer injector nozzles maybe :icon-confused:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
£109.7 ppl is that supermarket fuel? Notoriously bad for fuel consumption

We never get above 19 mpg - bigger off set tyres & steel wheels, roof rack on with awning and stuff on it, Viscus coupling going all the time........ I tend to tootle about, mrs drives like Alain Prost...........usually have a boot full of stuff.

I just don't think that the way you're measuring it is very accurate. It's a very shot distance and the fill point is pretty vague in terms of the light coming on. As I said, the only accurate way is to fill it to the brim, drive then fill it to the brim again - or drive the car till it runs out of fuel, put a measured amount in and run till it stops again. You have to have definite end points really. You may find when measured more accurately it's doing much better. But hey if you're happy with 23 mpg then that's not a problem. But it sounds low when compared to a 6cyl 4.2 80 automatic that does the same around town and more on a run.

We like having these discussions, don't worry you'll soon get used to it. Tim is correct about Soopermarket fuel. It's got no goodness in it at all.

Morrisons is actually one of the worst. I think that have 7% biofuel in theirs which is the maximum allowed. I found it very poor. Out of the current brands, I'm finding Shell is the best on a long run. I did a run up to Scotland where I did Tesco on the way up and Shell on the way down. Managed an extra 2 mpg from Shell, but like I say, if it bothers you don't look. I'm more interested in MPG than actually bothered about it or I'd drive a Lupo Bluemotion or something horrid.

Is 23 around town to work and back at typical times , just thinking you might beat it it at 3am :icon-smile:

I mainly use bp for both petrol and diesel, not a fan of super market fuel at all. The times I've reluctantly had to use it in the 80 it's noticeable, down on power and get pinking under load, the mpg gets worse too.

@Chris could just see you in a lupo lol.

I've got one motor that does 65 mpg and the 80 that doesn't, only one of them sounds great through a tunnel.

As suggested brim it, drive it for a bit then brim again to work it out. Better fuel too.

Yes I saw that but it does still seem a bit low to me. And oddly the auto seems historically to be marginally more economical than the manual. I've had both. At 23 mpg, I'd buy a petrol version and smile till the top of my head fell off! Ask Andy.

D4D varies from 22-23 knocking about to over 30 on a good run. The petrol is more 19 knocking about to 23 on a run. I always fill to the brim, usually £95- £100 of Shells V-Nitro petrol so, like Chris I'm more interested than bothered but always check. The diesel I'm less bothered as its bulk stuff but still always check.
There is a certain grin factor with the V6 petrol though, smooth powerful and quiet.

I got this after a refuel the other day, hahaha, wish I could have it as my average.
IMG_20170526_173947.jpg

It soon dropped to my standard which sits around 23MPG in town.
This is from the trip computer so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Both my manual 24v 80's did 26.7 over 10k miles if testing. The hj60 does 26.6 but the bj40 3.0 manual turbo diesel reached 30mpg for a 1979 truck -amazing really. The hj61 was about 25mpg - this was an auto but some of that was off foad

Back