Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hell yes I am
Still in shock.

Ok so up in Scotland at the moment, drove up yesterday. I knew things were going well when I hit 300 on the half tank. Other than when I was square-wheeled on the M1 for an hour I did 70 all the way. Since arriving I did ten miles or so of slow forest tracks which is not economical motoring

Decided to go and fill up this morning with Shell (same as on the way up) and tank brimmed to tank brimmed it did 23.67 mpg. I reckon with the off road stuff excluded that could have been 24 but in any case I'm as pleased as a pleased person.

It's a 93 auto UK with no roof rack or anything. Now previously it's only done around 19 mpg so what's the difference this time?

Only obvious thing is tyres. I stuck my BFG AT KO 2's on
Same size at 275 as previous. They feel great and have made the car stiffer and more pointy than the old Wranglers.

Ok gone to lie down

Hi Chris. Have you done the Scotland 500 Route (http://www.northcoast500.com/) at all? We're thinking of doing this next year. Or, if we do make it up there, can you recommend any tracks/routes to have a look at? Cheers, Simon

Would the current (colder) weather play a part? Colder air being denser and all that?

Other than that, were you driving in you ballet pumps?

Probably about right in my experience, my original 80 did a solid 27 on holiday runs and 22-23 with the ex missus pottering around for the tens of thousands of miles she put on it. This was on BFG A/Ts and the spec is the same as Chris's.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Haven't had mine long but did a lakes weekend trip, about 240 miles of m/way at 60/65 and 2 days laning and rough guess returned around 23/24 mpg I'm running 285's general grabbers AT2's 2" lift or there abouts so was quite happy with that

Pleased to hear this as I was thinking 24.5 on a run was ok but could have been better. I know that's pretty good now. :)

Last edited:
Sorry Bert can help you with tracks. These are private forest roads where we're shooting

If you want to do similar stuff there is a mate of mine who runs Scottish off road safari trips. Quite expensive but you get a lot for your money

Aha, you have all confirmed my own thoughts on running big Mud Terrain tyres on the road,
I realised a long time back the difference in mpg after I fitted lovely big M/T,s on a 4x4 many years ago, trouble is, as you get older you forget all that you have learned !!
When I bought my 80 earlier in the year, I came home delighted with 24mpg on the 180 mile journey down the M5.
Similar journey home a few months back with 285/75x16 M/T,s but can't get better than 18mpg
Haven't told the wife yet as she only allowed the Cruiser home if it was more economical than my 2.7 Twin Turbo Audi Allroad ( 16 around town) 24 on a run!! that's on road tyres

Travelling across Spain to/from Morocco my best was 25.31 between fillups, 24.38 being the average on the journeys through Spain.

I tend to lock the cruise control on at about 58mph and take in the surroundings :)

The average over the last 28,000 miles is 21.6

I decided a long time ago that the Cruiser was a lifestyle choice and if I was that keen on great MPG I should get a Smart Car or something (story for another day). So I took a reading for a longish run and that's it. I really don't want to know what it does round town as I know it's less. Strangely my Mk1 Shogun did 28 to the gallon whatever you did with it and dropped 2mpg when they took the sulphur out of diesel. 'Go figure'

I decided a long time ago that the Cruiser was a lifestyle choice and if I was that keen on great MPG I should get a Smart Car or something (story for another day). So I took a reading for a longish run and that's it. I really don't want to know what it does round town as I know it's less. Strangely my Mk1 Shogun did 28 to the gallon whatever you did with it and dropped 2mpg when they took the sulphur out of diesel. 'Go figure'
My thoughts exactly StarCruiser . really don't worry to much about mpg on the cruisers either. I'd be slated by everyone I know if I was heard to be moaning about economy . 20 odd yr old 3 ton trucks with winch and bumper 35 s big lift and roof rack. past caring as I love driving them and owning them so much.

Yeeesss, the point here was that it was changing the tyres to the new BFG KMO's took me from 19 mpg to 24 mpg. I didn't change anything else. Maybe I should have called the thread 'Wow these new tyres are great.'

Done 700 miles on them this weekend over tarmac, gravel, mud etc and been very very pleased. On road they are very good indeed even on damp smooth asphalt in a tight bend that I didn't spot.

Mines a standard 80 on 275/70R16 BFG All terrains. That's my average over a tank of fuel that is mainly A roads and country lanes with a bit of light off roaring during the shooting season

Back