Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24 mpg are you serious?

Put a Vortec 6l V8 in it and be done with it . 300+ hp and better fuel economy for you i reckon .

Tbh I'd rather put a super charger or turbo on this engine if wanted that sort of power.
Had to do some full throttle driving to make sure no pinking after playing with the timing, it was pinking above 4000 rpm if not using 98 octane (rare to run on normal unleaded) fuelling wasn't quite right either.

I never did the figures with the Hummer but i remember doing the same £70's worth of diesel in my shorty journey for £90's worth of petrol in the Hummer and i challenge anyone not to slam the pedal down whenever the opportunity arises just to hear that vortec roar . Could watch the gauge go down around town though .

Any tunnel the window goes down and kick the gear box down lol :icon-biggrin:

Well bu**er me. Just done the same trip this weekend and low and behold with really light traffic, I returned just a smidge over 25 mpg. I'm pleased with that. Remember that this is a 12v auto so there's no point posting that your 1.3 Bluetec VW Plebo does 74 mpg on a run. 24v's and Manuals are different beasts too and irrelevant so there.

Damn I love this 80. It's a belter. Shame it's now covered in sh*t.

I can't believe you guys get such good fuel economy.
My 24v auto on 315/75R16 does 18-19 MPG :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't believe you guys get such good fuel economy.
My 24v auto on 315/75R16 does 18-19 MPG :(

That's several+ mpg down on a 24v manual on OE tyre sizes. Two things that will cost MPG on most vehicles are auto trans and oversize (rolling radius) tyres and you have both so there's maybe nothing really wrong with yours.

Noticed on mine that going from at's to muds of the same size knocked a couple of mpg off, being a higher rolling resistance

Newly test run comfirms 22MPG hooray :dance:
Think the new BFG KO's tires & warmer weather had a key factor perhaps.

Update: just found out I have a blowy exhaust near the bend near the front wheel. Thankfully a good sign as I've just enquired to get the whole exhaust changed.

22MPG SOUND MUCH BETTER NOW.....LOL :dance:

Last edited:
Back