Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24v winch

Unless you're happy to add a second battery (complicated) or extra 24v battery bank (expensive and heavy) I'm not sure how you can. There are converters to run 24v accessories from 12v but most of these would max out at the low digits or tens of amps.

Maybe the winch manufacturer has a 12v version and you could just get the motor as a spare?

Once upon a time I just bought a 12v motor to swap the 24v motor. It was the simplest way to get over this problem. Cheaper option compared to adding battery systems. Most winch companies supply all related service parts separately... best way to go..

cool, I have two batteries but am a full div when it comes to auto electrics so don't know if this is what you mean or a third battery in series(?) with one of the batteries

I guess it depends if the batteries are connected together to make a large 12v one (parallel). If that's the case then you can't get 24v from them without rewiring. It's really only practical if your whole truck is 24v.

The 80 series does have a combined 12v/24v system which uses a complicated set of relays to change from a parallel to a series (at least for the starter motor) system. But all this is going to be more complicated and expensive to implement than a new motor for the winch!

Unless you're building a cmpetition winch challenge truck, I really wouldn't bother.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
how does one run a 24v winch on a 12v truck?
Thanks
Matt
Short answer: You don't. It's too complicated and too far from an ideal setup.

Otoh, if you like challenges, you could have an extra dedicated large CCA battery which you charge via a large DC-DC charger which has isolated earths (minus on input and minus on output have to be isolated). Or TWO extra batteries with a 12 to 24 V DC-DC charger.
Size of battery(ies) depends on what you specify as max winching time, and size of charger depends on what recharge time you need. The only advantage of a 24 V winch is that the motor is a bit smaller at the same power, and the cables can be thinner at the same power, as compared to a 12 V winch. Winches under load take a lot of current.

Ah thank you man. I really am clueless when it comes to auto electrics or the theory of it all really I can do the practical side if someone gives me all the stuff and says "wire that up" but as for working out myself, not a chance.
The only advantage at this point is, I know of a 24v superwinch high speed winch that is going for a song, relatively speaking, if the added cost cancels that out then no point I spose.

Last edited:
Back