Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2L-TE 1990 Prado AT oil light came on first time ever

zooey

Country Flag
canada
If you remember me from last fall I bought my Cruiser not knowing much. Runs like a charm. And I am slowly learning but it is an uphill climb.

This is really simple stuff I am sure but I have no manuals. I have a dipstick with orange top which appears to be the tranny fluid? First time today I saw the AT OIL temp light come on.

I was parked for a time with the front end on a fairly high angle. Started up and the AToil temp came on....put it into drive ( light goes out) and short 3 mile drive home light was off.

Checked the fluid and seems to be OK on hot; is more or less transparent pink. JUST started again to see (now cold).

Cold start I turn on the glow plugs...the AT oil temp light comes on; when it starts the light goes off.

Any ideas....suggestions? I have one mechanic in town that I have enough faith in, when supervised, to check the tranny fluid and add Dextron 11???

Has not caused me one problem since October 2015.

I know this is simple stuff and for that I apologize in advance for any advice.

zooey

If you remember me from last fall I bought my Cruiser not knowing much. Runs like a charm. And I am slowly learning but it is an uphill climb.

This is really simple stuff I am sure but I have no manuals. I have a dipstick with orange top which appears to be the tranny fluid? First time today I saw the AT OIL temp light come on.

I was parked for a time with the front end on a fairly high angle. Started up and the AToil temp came on....put it into drive ( light goes out) and short 3 mile drive home light was off.

Checked the fluid and seems to be OK on hot; is more or less transparent pink. JUST started again to see (now cold).

Cold start I turn on the glow plugs...the AT oil temp light comes on; when it starts the light goes off.

Any ideas....suggestions? I have one mechanic in town that I have enough faith in, when supervised, to check the tranny fluid and add Dextron 11???

Has not caused me one problem since October 2015.

I know this is simple stuff and for that I apologize in advance for any advice.

zooey

By the by this is a Q-LJ71G- PET from the engine plate came off the assembly line in November 1990 in Plant # A-11 which is the Honsya plant (Factory code A11).

Tansmission is A-343F

Currently has approx. 143K km. Also next to the A.T. OIL TEMP indicator is a A.T.P indicator (I assume this is pressure). The A.T.P. does not come on.
DSC01394.JPG

Being probably a bit over the top with this but my Cruiser ( call it the Mousemobile for the moment). is running like a gem. So when a light goes on and I do not know why, like any good bubble-wrap mother, I have a fit.

All my labels are in Japanese. I am due to take this down to a woman who will translate all this on Monday...and the light came on Wednesday. Never fails.

Anyone have any idea what these 2 label translate to roughly?

Loosely translated... (I'm a bit rusty :lol:)

A. TOIL TEMP lamp A. TP lamp is lit is A. T. It lights up when the oil temperature is high IA. T parking will operate. It indicates that there is no car in a safe place. Please shift to the P Ren'nsufa the idling state with H 2 or L4 di until the tiger stopped to turn off. At the time to do a PTO (power take-off) use, please refer to the instruction manual. AA

Loosely translated... (I'm a bit rusty :lol:)

A. TOIL TEMP lamp A. TP lamp is lit is A. T. It lights up when the oil temperature is high IA. T parking will operate. It indicates that there is no car in a safe place. Please shift to the P Ren'nsufa the idling state with H 2 or L4 di until the tiger stopped to turn off. At the time to do a PTO (power take-off) use, please refer to the instruction manual. AA

This makes very little sense to me and I have no instruction manual. Sent the same photo to Japanese parts guy here in Canada and waiting for reply.

But "until the tiger stopped to turn off?" I got a huge laugh from this Crispin. Many thanks.

I was speculating that something in the sensor or the oil coolant unit...but do not know.

First thing I am doing today is blasting the underside with water in case any missed dirt is blocking anything....then taking it out for a short heat-me-up drive....then doing another fluid level check.

My knowledge, as all can see, regarding automotive is almost non-existent. That is why I am excited about this Cruiser. It is so simple that even a novice may be able to understand.

Crispin this is funny. I do have a fairly beneficial IQ and now am thinking about the translation.....

Made my day.

Crispin I appreciate your input.

I am not unwilling to learn. Spent about 10 hours on internet looking up anything I could learn regarding this issue and what to do.

So little by little I go. Have a manual for the engine etc. (actually for a Hilux) but covers my engine and turbo and a bit more....

Ellery manual (for a A340H transmission) says Dextron 11 fluid. My tranny is A343H. I am assuming the same fluid is likely OK.

But for now I am waiting for the tiger to stop.

Think it is saying pull over until the light goes out then do a power take-off.

I was using google translate to translate it :) It's not always correct :) I thought the translation was amusing - it's your typical Chingrish :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Too funny. This is from a Surf owner's manual:

This light warns that the automatic transmission or transfer fluid is too high.

"If the light comes on while you are driving slow down and pull off the road. Put the vehicle in Park.
With the engine idling wait until the light goes off. If the light goes off then you can drive again. If the light does not go off go to a Toyota dealer. " (I paraphrase)

I think my Cruiser has more options in the non-existent manual that would be in Japanese anyway.

Too funny. Toyota dealer is about 10 hours and a ferry ride away. I am the only option.

Conclusion to this.

Toyota mechanic says the idiot light comes on at pre-ignition. (not true for months). Told me not to worry.

I did worry. Checked the AT fluid levels 3 times.....then asked someone else to confirm my reading.

Conclusion was that I added 1 litre of tranny fluid. Ran 250 km. the next day. Runs like a charm. And yes I did notice a bit of difference in smoothness of shifting.

On to my next learning curve. (oh and the AT Oil temp light still comes on pre-ignition so?)

Good thread Zooey, and credit to you for sorting this out.

Almost worthy of a sticky, I would think... :shifty:

Got to love the cheap repairs.

Back