Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

30 MPG from an 80 ?

My 1995 24v used to do 30 mpg on a run but now [100,000 miles later] does 27 mpg. I noticed last week that I didn't have to use the brake pedal to stop because the rear brakes were seized onish so out for a test soon to see if fuel consumption is up. How many miles are covered before the injectors or pump need attention??

Frank

I do a tank of diesel a week on A roads, and get the light coming on at ~440 miles. I drive it as hard as I can (though suspect it is detuned somewhat) and it is running 285 BFG ATs. Manual 24v.

1st tank got 360miles at 75mph with a massive un aerodynamic roof load
2nd tank keeping the revs low and changing gear as soon as poss i got 440 miles and refilled with 1/4 of a tank still left
3rd tank done 280 miles so far just under a half a tank left
gotta love the 24v with manual box

I frequently get 600km out of my early HDJ81 4.2td towing a 2.7 ton trailer! all be it at 60 ish. So thats about 20mpg or better by my calcs. Have seen 850km not towing which is about 27mpg.

Well the update on mine is it will return 30 MPG if driven with a bit of common sense, the last couple of months I reckon about 25 - 26 as we have had the holiday makers here on the coast and so the roads are a little busy in fact I saw four cars all stopped at the same traffic light the other day! :mrgreen:

But seriously 26 - 27 is easy and atainable without even thinking about it, I think if I could manage to drive ultra careful (yeh right) for a tankful then 30 plus is on the cards.

regards

Dave

The best I can get from my 80 auto is 20mpg and that's keeping it under 2200 revs 60mph max, does an auto make that much difference?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I dont know how much MPG I am getting in my colorado, but few weeks ago on my road trip I was able of testing out how much I get on a tank.

Driving at around 80-90 I would get about 400 miles until the reserve light came on
Driving at just as it tick over it 4th gear at about 60 miles I would average about 450-500 until the reserve light came on. I noticed the reserve tank it a big 18 Litres, this is quite a lot.

When I first had my cruiser I could easily manage 550-600 miles off the tank.

Cossack said:
The best I can get from my 80 auto is 20mpg and that's keeping it under 2200 revs 60mph max, does an auto make that much difference?

Yes I think it does, against you is the losses that occur in auto boxes and IIRC there is additional weight in the transmission. I have a customer who has an auto and we live in the same area and even accounting for driving styles I think he struggles to get 22 - 24.

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
IIRC there is additional weight in the transmission
Compared these recently when I came to move stuff about - manual box is easy to pick up, A442F auto is a two man / hoist job, A343F auto also easy to pick up. Not sure how much difference that will make with all the other stuff liable to be in Chas's 80 but it all adds up.

Cossack said:
I think it's more to do with the other stuff bolted to your truck, Chas! And upping the fuelling!
Adding 500kg of winchbar, winch, rear bumper, sliders, long-range tank, RR & RTT, freezer, drawer system etc etc all requires energy to haul it around. And the altering of aerodynamics has a huge impact that is further exaggerated the faster you go (force required goes up with the square of the speed).

Despite the user manual indicating that fuel consumption isn't that different between 12V and 24V (I think), it appears that in practice the 24V does deliver much better economy most things being equal.

Andrew Prince said:
I think it's more to do with the other stuff bolted to your truck, Chas! And upping the fuelling!
Adding 500kg of winchbar, winch, rear bumper, sliders, long-range tank, RR & RTT, freezer, drawer system etc etc all requires energy to haul it around.
Yeah, I really must get my garage roof fixed, at the moment it rains as much inside as outside :problem: so to keep everything dry it stays in the truck :eusa-violin:
A while back I had the roof of the garage raised so I could drive the truck in with the tent in place, but it's an asbestos roof which developed leaks when it was disturbed, I now realise there is enough headroom to hang it from the roof and drive the truck out so when the leaks are fixed (or a completely new roof :think: ) I'll be hanging the rack and tent up in the air :thumbup:
BTW the fueling wasn't upped it was reduced to stop the black smoke :cool:

Cossack said:
Sorry Chas - I know you have an intercooler, so I thought you'd have upped the fuelling to take advantage of the higher airflow. I think you get my drift though :cool:

Andrew Prince said:
Cossack said:
Sorry Chas - I know you have an intercooler, so I thought you'd have upped the fuelling to take advantage of the higher airflow. I think you get my drift though :cool:
Yes I do follow you, I think it was upped when the intercooler was installed but later reduced to stop smoking (I think that's something I should do too :roll: )

Cossack said:

Fully kitted overland 12 valve 80 with auto box on roads with massive climbs & not exceeding 60mph is averaging 16.5mpg :( everything working as it should be with no issues, just very heavy with all the kit and not to be forgetting the extra 180 ltrs of diesel in the secondary tank.

Great thread this, read it cover to cover. As others have said, I need a 4x4 but do get a bit tired of people saying "why do you want economy when you got a 4x4?". The only reply I can give to explain my point, and it usually does, is.... "if you were offered an Amazon VX with every possible extra which did 100mpg, would you like it more than yours doing 20mph?" If yes, you get my point. If no, you are a billionaire and not an ideal candidate for a sensible combination about economy of anything! :D :D :D

I am in the market for an Amazon and really stuck on which one to choose. After years of auto cars, I wanted a manual (i love driving). I got a manual Volvo XC90 and what a pile of poo it is, as was the one before (which was returned due to ECU damage from water ingress "because someone didn't clean the windscreen gutter" (cheers Volvo!).

Anyways.... I do get the lovely comfort of an auto and enjoyed it a lot when I had it, but having read this old thread (and sorry if nobody wanted it reviving!) I am wondering if I should consider a manual in an Amazon?

I basically want the best fuel economy I can get, ACCEPTING that it will be somewhere between awful and dire whatever I do :). My XC90 does 27. The closer I can get to that the less earache I will get off the misses, so I don't apologise for choosing an Amazon VX model based on MPG. Some people seem to say their 80 is better than the 100, others say the 100 is better than the 80, others say the manual is better than auto. from my research it sounds to me like the 24v (which I think means the later 100s) is 'usually' better on fuel than the 80. Does anyone know about the auto/manual issue though? Because I have read forums where people say the auto is better than the manual so I am a bit confused but this seems like the authority on LCs so here I am, to see if anyone has some experienced views on this! Thanks

24 valve 80s were made from 95 to 98.

stick with road tyres and no roof rack you should get your 27mpg easily.

Really? If that's true then I will soon be a very happy man thanks!
Would you have an opinion on auto or manual?

Manual anything gets better fuel economy ime.

Which is prefered for drivablity is a matter of personal preference.

Yes I would have always said the same but even Parkers shows a slightly better MPG rating (i think for the 100, not 80) for the auto over the manual which struck me as odd, but i have seen people say similar on LC forums etc so wondered.
Not sure which I prefer, happy with either tbh. MPG is only reason i asked. thanks

I was once committed to going into veg oil/biodiesel mainly for my wife's van. I bought a nice processor, then moved house and lost all contacts i had built up for veg oil, doh!
Would I be right in thinking the LandCruiser would swallow veg oil, or only BD?

Back