Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

315/ 75/ 16 on an 80

fbnss

Supporter
Country Flag
england
So I finally got some new bfg km3's and after picking up some shiny new wheels from @karl webster last weekend got the tyre fitter at work to stick them on the rims yesterday. Took them home and
20190525_143059.jpg
20190525_141543.jpg

now annoyingly i snapped twp studs on one wheel :rage:
20190525_134758.jpg

so after speaking with the ever helpful Karl set about dismantling the nsf hub to change them over with spares i had in the boot, after a voyage of discovery and a quick phonecall to @Trevor when id forgotten how to do something they were swopped over :)
reassembled everything and ping! one of the new studs snapped again. I think these were the same as the dodgy batch that @grantw had a while ago.

Looks good mate and count your blessings the studs snapped at home huh .

While people are posting suggestions about where to source studs i will be asking soon where to get +10mm studs ?

Makes you wonder if S/H originals wouldn't be better. I've changed countless wheels on all variations of Cruisers in the past 22 years and never had one break yet.

well the two that snapped i assume were original but on refitting one new one survived and one snapped

Looks good Nick. How are your clearances? Is there any lift on yours?

I expect the speedo needs correction with 315x75-16 as my 285s are bang on what the sat nav says.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before the Russia trip I replaced all of my studs with genuine OEM Mr T ones. I just felt that the number of times my rims had been on and off and the work they'd done, there was a good chance of failure at some point. All new nuts too. And despite it being really easy, I never torque them up with the impact gun.

Just picked some genuine ones up at Karl's, will be getting some more to replace others at some point.
Rich, ive only driven it to the end of the drive and turned around. No rubbing anywhere but no idea when theres some articulation. I was measuring my speedo with an app the other day and on 285s it was reading 2 mph over what the gps was saying. Will update when I drive somewhere with the bigguns on :)

Looks good, shame about the studs breaking.

My speedo is 2mph under compared to gps with the 35's on.

Before the Russia trip I replaced all of my studs with genuine OEM Mr T ones. I just felt that the number of times my rims had been on and off and the work they'd done, there was a good chance of failure at some point. All new nuts too. And despite it being really easy, I never torque them up with the impact gun.
I was using a torque wrench but it didnt seem to like it, might dig the actual wheel nut tightener thingy out the toolkit to do it in future

Looks good Nick. How are your clearances? Is there any lift on yours?
2" ome +400kg on the back 6months old and 2" no idea ome on the front, been on since before i got it.

Ita all back together and nothing has gone ping :) I used the wheel brace this time and will recheck after I've driven it a bit. Just have to bleed the brakes now as the rough trax brake lines go straight across one of the caliper bolts so had to undo it

Back