Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.2TDi stalled :(

big-yin

Country Flag
scotland
I've had mine for nearly 2 months now and about a handful of times after starting from cold in the morning its lost throttle response and gone all fluffy but a few prods of the pedal and its ok again. However last night after a 15mile drive, then leaving for 1 1/2 hours, it started OK but then cut out completely after 100m of driving and had to off/on start again. I'm suspecting fuel starvation, either in tank or fuel filter. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet although I have it ready, anything else you think it could be? It only happens just after a start up. Thanks.

I've had mine for nearly 2 months now and about a handful of times after starting from cold in the morning its lost throttle response and gone all fluffy but a few prods of the pedal and its ok again. However last night after a 15mile drive, then leaving for 1 1/2 hours, it started OK but then cut out completely after 100m of driving and had to off/on start again. I'm suspecting fuel starvation, either in tank or fuel filter. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet although I have it ready, anything else you think it could be? It only happens just after a start up. Thanks.

Is this for a 100 series or 80 series? I think it's the same for the 100 series but there is a filter in the fuel tank that can be accessed from under the rear seats. If it is full of sludge you may have the diesel bug.

Is this for a 100 series or 80 series? I think it's the same for the 100 series but there is a filter in the fuel tank that can be accessed from under the rear seats. If it is full of sludge you may have the diesel bug.

Sorry 100 series. OK i'll try to have a look over lunchtime, thanks.

There is a sock filter on the pick-up. The one in my '100' wasn't bad but that in my '90' was blocked.

Here are a few pictures from my Fuel Tank Replacement exercise that might help.

DSCN3113.JPG

DSCN3123.JPG

DSCN3214.JPG

DSCN3130.JPG

Bob.

Better add that to my list, the fuel here in Zimbabwe isn't the cleanest..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Of all the L:C's I've had in the last 20 years I've only broken down once and that was in the 100 series a week after I bought it.Barreling up the M1 in the outside lane the engine just stopped . I glided to rest on a slip road about a mile later. Got recovered and changed the fuel filter, hey presto, always worked since.
Fundamentals first.

Is that the Kitchen table , My missus goes Bananas when I got bike bits sprawled out on the table. and air filters soaking in the washing up bowl..

Yes it is, fortunately my wife spends most of her life at No.2 daughter's house looking after their children and dog. I have the days to myself :thumbup:.

The trick is to clean-up thoroughly before she gets home :icon-wink:.

She takes no interest in car maintenance and would never log on here (even if she could work out how to :whistle:).

Bob.

Yes it is, fortunately my wife spends most of her life at No.2 daughter's house looking after their children and dog. I have the days to myself :thumbup:.

The trick is to clean-up thoroughly before she gets home :icon-wink:.

She takes no interest in car maintenance and would never log on here (even if she could work out how to :whistle:).

Bob.
Your a lucky man:thumbup:

Is that the Kitchen table , My missus goes Bananas when I got bike bits sprawled out on the table. and air filters soaking in the washing up bowl..
Just don’t put the parts through the dishwasher like I did with the Smart engine. :shifty:

Can you get a Smart engine in a dish washer?..... Mind you can you get the Smart car in a dish washer.?
In bits, yes. It’s about the size of a sewing machine. :icon-biggrin: The engine that is.

I enlisted our mechanic at work after he said it would take 10-15mins to change the fuel filer on Friday and sure enough it did. 1 x genuine Toyota filter fitted. May just be me but it feels more responsive straight away.

Interested to see if that end of the fuel system helps my starting issues, if not then I’ll look at the tank end, thanks for comments very much appreciated.

I enlisted our mechanic at work after he said it would take 10-15mins to change the fuel filer on Friday and sure enough it did. 1 x genuine Toyota filter fitted. May just be me but it feels more responsive straight away.

Interested to see if that end of the fuel system helps my starting issues, if not then I’ll look at the tank end, thanks for comments very much appreciated.
Sweet, hope it’s the cure. Thanks for the update.

Back