Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4 speed or 5 speed

paul c

Can anyone give a guesstimate of mpg on either for the 4.7 V8 in real life. I would like to hang on and find a 5 speed and want to know if it is worth it.

They are 3 speed with overdrive and 4 speed. I think 4 speed is facelift model (52). Mine is 02 (3speed)I get 200 miles combined driving on 75 litres of LPG if that helps . I'm also selling the truck if you're interested!!

They are 3 speed with overdrive and 4 speed. I think 4 speed is facelift model (52). Mine is 02 (3speed)I get 200 miles combined driving on 75 litres of LPG if that helps . I'm also selling the truck if you're interested!!

If it's any help I have a 4.5 80 series and I get 200/250 mpg (depends on the weight of the shoes I'm wearing :lol:) on a 100 ltr tank of LPG (but you can only fill it with 80ltrs
of gas) and about 300 miles per tank of petrol, I've not checked the petrol consumption properly yet as I only use the petrol to drive to the station to fill with LPG.

As has been said already LPG stations are not very common, I'm lucky, I have one within a mile of my home. :thumbup:

I to am very lucky and have a Morrissons about 2 miles in Walthamstow so getting LPG is not a problem. Whats involved in filling with LPG at the station as I have never seen this done. Also will an LPG cruiser be dearer to insure

Early models are 4-speed and later are 5-speed. That the top gear has a ratio which is lower than 1:1 doesn't change the fact that it is a 4-sp or 5-sp respectively. It is not a 3-speed with a separate overdrive box, like the old volvos e.g.

Sorry, don't have milage figures for the gasser.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Early models are 4-speed and later are 5-speed. That the top gear has a ratio which is lower than 1:1 doesn't change the fact that it is a 4-sp or 5-sp respectively. It is not a 3-speed with a separate overdrive box, like the old volvos e.g.
It's a 4 speed box but has an overdrive in the front with the 4th speed being obtained by adding overdrive to 3rd gear :icon-cool: there is no 4th gear.

It's a 4 speed box but has an overdrive in the front with the 4th speed being obtained by adding overdrive to 3rd gear :icon-cool: there is no 4th gear.
Yes, I see that the OD is in a separate compartment in the gearbox - the OD gear-ratio is obtained at a different place inside the box than the three other ratios (+Reverse).
I don't know about the A750, the 5-speed, but it is probably built the same way?

When it comes to fuel consumption, the 5-sp is said to be a tad more frugal, but on my HDJs I haven't seen any improvement. The supposed improvement is also from better engine control, and for the HDJ some engine design changes.

My tuppence worth, which is from experience having owned a "4" speed v8 for two years as a daily driver is go for the 5 speed!! The "4" speed gearbox is jittery in regards to what gear it's supposed to be in. It either drops down too many gears or doesn't give you the right gear at all! I'm talking about the mid speed range accceleration of 35 to 55 mph. So if you're cruising at 40 and want to overtake it'll either stay in 3rd or give you 1st instead of 2nd but you get used to it!

Never found mine to be at all jittery, maybe that's something else not right with yours!

Jittery was probably not a good description!! Indecisive is a better word! Thankfully I've never had mechanical issues except for the AHC !

I am new to the LC world and seeking my first LC. I read through these posts and searched many others and was unable to find solid answer to the original question for this thread, although one person came close.

Can anyone provide personally calculated numbers for the following, for a petrol/gasoline 4.7L V8?...
4 speed mpg without cargo/trailer?
4 speed mpg with cargo/trailer?
5 speed mpg without cargo/trailer?
5 speed mpg with cargo/trailer?

Thanks.

Back