Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

40 series chassis, 80 series suspension, 75 series 5 speed, 12HT Diesel, Disc Brakes

So managed to fully complete the 40 over the weekend, gauges & switches installed.

IMG_2305.JPG

Also added an extra pre-air cleaner as the beach sand gets into everything.

IMG_2294.JPG

And installed the canvas top.

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

Also placed another set of front coils in to lower the front by a inch.

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

Last edited:
That is one cool cruiser I love it a big :thumbup::thumbup:thanks for the pics.Tony

I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already, only that it's almost a pity that it's finished, such a fantastic project, over now.

Well done anyway Rob, it's the best restoration I'll probably ever see!

When you finish one you have to start on another 5 year project, so I have a chassis and another 12HT engine, so I will build sister 40?

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1968.jpg

Fantastic job!:bow-blue: Are you gonna do the next one with the same specs or you have something different on mind?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wow - just amazing. And incredible space to work in too ...

This was an absolutely brilliant thread! Thank you for taking the time to share you're hard work.

What is you're plan for the next one and can we put in requests? :icon-biggrin:

The next one will be the same, extend fibreglass body once again to FJ43 size, 12HT, 5 speed, e-lockers all round on a all coil chassis.

T-salesfolder07d.jpg

What chassis is that Rob?

At first I thought 80 series but then I saw how the control arms mount to the chassis, so now I'm thinking Bundera maybe? :think:

Could I ask you how you find the Baja MTZ on tarmac? I am looking at the ATZ or MTZ and wondered what you thought of yours so far. They don't look too aggressive.

No real need to say it but what the heck. Fabulous vehicle. Real poster stuff.

What chassis is that Rob?

At first I thought 80 series but then I saw how the control arms mount to the chassis, so now I'm thinking Bundera maybe? :think:

Your right Ben, its a RJ70 Bundera, wheel base at just under 93", so instead of putting 80 series suspension on a 40 series chassis like I did last time I am using the RJ70 chassis I have.

Could I ask you how you find the Baja MTZ on tarmac? I am looking at the ATZ or MTZ and wondered what you thought of yours so far. They don't look too aggressive.

No real need to say it but what the heck. Fabulous vehicle. Real poster stuff.

The MTZ's work well in the soft beach sand and I run them at around 17lbs. I don't do a lot of tarmac driving but they seem ok but I don't drive it much over 85kph on tarmac as I don't want to over heat the tyres with 17lbs in them. These MTZ's are 8 ply wall but if your driving more on tarmac and don't want to chop them up to much I would go ATZ.

I will buy another set MTZ's when these are worn out but it will probably take another 7 years for that to happen?

Hey Ben, liked your rear awning so I ordered one, 1.6m wide and 2.5m long?

P1010080_zps72a69daf.jpg

tough-rear-4wd-4x4-awning.jpg

Going mount it here?

IMG_2289a.jpg

I have one of those style awnings too and have been looking at cutting down and doing the same thing with it. Looks pretty easy to do but the cover isn't so simple. I may have to get my local canvas place to do that. Or just not bother with the cover I guess

Beutiful LC!:icon-biggrin: was wondering who makes the stainless disc hand brake for the FJ40s?

Can any one advise me or provide some information please on what is required in the modifications to the chassis to fit a sixty series body on an 80 series chassis. Importantly where the chassis is cut to shorten it , all the body mounts are the easier problem but for the longer by 120 mm chassis.

Thanks for any feedback Mark

Back