Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

40 series PTO Winch

JonFJ1969

I have a full PTO winch set up from my 1973 FJ40. the manufacturer is Thomas Winch, Brisbane and its rated to 8000 lbs. it is complete with all components including a 4 speed gearbox and transfer case. i am in the process of fitting a h55 5 speed transmission and cant get the correct PTO gearbox for this set up so i have decided to go electric. i can email pictures but it was working fine prior to removal so no reason why it wont work again. nice period extra, i believe it will work with any 4 speed set up but i will include the 4 speed gearbox and transfer if you want it. would like to see around £1000.00 but would listen to offers, cheers Jon

if anyone is interested i would exchange this lot. would like to keep all the winch parts together (not split) but i need some camping gear perhaps some kind of oztent etc. let me know you have? anything considered, try me. also if you want to buy perhaps £1K too much, so would consider offers around £700.00. cheers jon

I see you are in Newark so it would need you to palletise the gear - I would pay shipping though.
Would you be able to send me some photos please?

Regards, Ian.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, sorry been away for the weekend, give me a shout on xxxxxxx, cheers Jon
You might want to move your contact number to a PM or 'conversation' Jon to keep the pests away.

Last edited:
I see you are in Newark so it would need you to palletise the gear - I would pay shipping though.
Would you be able to send me some photos please?

Regards, Ian.
Hi Ian, palletising no problem, i will get some photos done, do you want all of it? winch, tranny and gearbox etc? what are you going to put it on out of interest, cheers Jon

Hi Ian, palletising no problem, i will get some photos done, do you want all of it? winch, tranny and gearbox etc? what are you going to put it on out of interest, cheers Jon
Well - that is one of my questions for when I phone you. Its for my 83 BJ40 - I presume it will fit ok?
Sorry for not phoning you yet. Bit of a critical time at work at the moment.

Well - that is one of my questions for when I phone you. Its for my 83 BJ40 - I presume it will fit ok?
Sorry for not phoning you yet. Bit of a critical time at work at the moment.
Hi Ian, been away all week myself, from my knowledge i am sure the PTO will fit onto your transfer, or you can change transfer boxes, they all fit together, i will take some pictures tomorrow and add them, cheers Jon

Jon
If Ian backs out, I am interested. I am in the states but willing to pay shipping if you palletize. I would mount to a '79 hj45. Please keep me posted. Tks

Hi Ian, here are the photos, talk with you soon, cheers Jon

skull on clutch lever IMG_2369.jpg IMG_2368.jpg IMG_2366.jpg IMG_2365.jpg IMG_2364.jpg optional!!!

Hi Ian, anytime is fine, look out for a small hole in the front cross member, thats where the pto shaft comes through, you may need to weld a bracket onto the chassis to take the bearing on this shaft, mine had one but it wasnt OEM, yours might, talk with you next week, cheers Jon

Hi Jon,
I just swapped my 4 speed gearbox for a H55f gearbox. I have an original PTO winch which I took off during the restoration process. After reading your above messages, it seems my PTO winch will no longer work with the 5 speed gearbox. I had no idea this swap would have an impact on the PTO. Is it difficult to get the PTO to work with the H55f. I won’t be doing the work myself but getting qualified mechanics to do it for me.
Thanks

Back