Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

50l of extra juice!

Rosy

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi all, I usually don’t post the mods to my 80 because, well, they usually aren’t very challenging or special and pale in comparison to some of the work described on this forum every day.

That said, the old girl has had what I consider to be her first proper mod while in my care with the addition of a factory 50l subtank. Now, before I continue, I must point out that I have neither the knowledge or skill to execute an upgrade like this solo, so all credit for this goes to @chapel gate whom I might add was awesome!! From discussing the options, ordering the parts (I wanted it as close to OEM as possible) right through to completing the install with daily photo updates was an absolute pleasure.

As jobs like this tend to do, we ran slightly over time which meant a few extra hands were needed to complete some of the less glamorous tasks and @fbnss didn’t hesitate to jump in... that after having already spent 3 hours driving me up in the first place!! Thank you again mate, not many blokes would volunteer that kind of time or effort for not much more than a McDonalds breakfast!

As we have established, I am no expert so I’ll let the pictures tell the story.

1 - diesel out.JPG
2 - holes drilled for straps bolts dropped in.JPG
3 - new pipes to the hard lines.JPG
4 - new loom in.JPG
5 - new filler pipe.JPG
6 - more OEM pipework.JPG
7 - New filler neck.JPG
8 - the sub.JPG
9 - the sub installed.JPG
10 - wiring it all in.JPG
11 - switch live.JPG
12 - dash complete.JPG
13 - Console live.JPG

Don't forget that big fat bucket of KFC!

Nice Rosy, is yours an import or a UK GX? I like the dual filler neck, that looks like a clever way of doing it.

I like the dual filler neck, that looks like a clever way of doing it.

That’s the one I got many moons ago with my 170 l tank, frogs 4x4 iirc, gen toyota, amayama would be the way to go if it’s available from them.
Well made bit of kit, just lift the lever when filling to divert to other tank

Nice Rosy, is yours an import or a UK GX? I like the dual filler neck, that looks like a clever way of doing it.

Its a UK spec VX Richard, and yes, the dual filler neck is a great piece of kit. Decided to do that way after reading @Chris remarks on his install.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice one. Lovely mod. Looking through the pics, I assume that you've done it slightly differently to mine? I can't see any change over solenoids. How does it work?
I couldn't fit the overhead pod because mine has an aftermarket sunroof and the position interferes with the housing.

Its a UK spec VX Richard, and yes, the dual filler neck is a great piece of kit. Decided to do that way after reading @Chris remarks on his install.
Curiouser and curiouser Rosy, as you have the same cloth seats as I do in my import HDJ 81 VX. :think:

Your too kind sir!
was a pleasure, and thanks to you and nick for the day of graft in the freezing cold!

Nice one. Lovely mod. Looking through the pics, I assume that you've done it slightly differently to mine? I can't see any change over solenoids. How does it work?
I couldn't fit the overhead pod because mine has an aftermarket sunroof and the position interferes with the housing.

The missing solenoids. Not all connected yet.

20171122_172017.jpg

Back