Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60 series build

Young Mr Lomas on here has been trying to persuade me on that (he has a turbo kit available) but I feel for my useage (remote expeditions) stock is generally better. The 12HT underwent a lot of revisions before Toyota saw fit to turbo it. There must have been a reason for that.

I think for the UK and Europe it would be fine, but not for the kind of thing I have in mind.
i drive mine accross dartmoor daily 35 miles each way and it may take 10 mins longer than the beemer but its a lovely drive. Returning about 26mpg which is impressive given the terrain. I can live with the extra few mins. Would a turbo make any mpg difference? I doubt it, Both my 80's and hj61 returned similar mpg so i cant see any advantage worthy of the outlay

missprint!!
235/85x16
really though they aren't big enough for 8 inch rims but I already had them. I think I will replace with 245s or 255s

Young Mr Lomas on here has been trying to persuade me on that (he has a turbo kit available) but I feel for my useage (remote expeditions) stock is generally better. The 12HT underwent a lot of revisions before Toyota saw fit to turbo it. There must have been a reason for that.

I think for the UK and Europe it would be fine, but not for the kind of thing I have in mind.

Not so young Mr Lomas on here has sold one of his turbo kits to Will on here, if he comes on ask him the difference it makes. I can't see why an extra 20-30% power and torque would be a bad thing on a heavier than standard 60 series. BTW the 12HT came from the start with a turbo, do you mean 2H?

Very impressive build.... but one question. Weren't the tyres a b'stard to fit?

Lubrication dear boy, Lubrication.

Not so young Mr Lomas on here has sold one of his turbo kits to Will on here, if he comes on ask him the difference it makes. I can't see why an extra 20-30% power and torque would be a bad thing on a heavier than standard 60 series. BTW the 12HT came from the start with a turbo, do you mean 2H.
No, what I meant was that they didn’t just strap a turbo to the 2h to make the 61, the 12ht is a significantly different engine.

Not so young Mr Lomas on here has sold one of his turbo kits to Will on here, if he comes on ask him the difference it makes. I can't see why an extra 20-30% power and torque would be a bad thing on a heavier than standard 60 series. BTW the 12HT came from the start with a turbo, do you mean 2H?

Lubrication dear boy, Lubrication.

Its certainly been a noticeable improvement for me and I still haven't turned up the fuel yet, running 33's made it difficult to maintain speed on hills but not anymore. The straight through side exit exhaust I made makes it worth it for the noise alone!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Although I would agree for your intended use Moggy a more simple less stressed NA setup with fewer points of failure is wise

Back