60 series build

moggy1968 Aug 16, 2013

1. Ben Stratford

Ben Stratford Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    i drive mine accross dartmoor daily 35 miles each way and it may take 10 mins longer than the beemer but its a lovely drive. Returning about 26mpg which is impressive given the terrain. I can live with the extra few mins. Would a turbo make any mpg difference? I doubt it, Both my 80's and hj61 returned similar mpg so i cant see any advantage worthy of the outlay

2. Bat21

Bat21 Well-Known Member Supporter I am in morocco

Map
    Very impressive build.... but one question. Weren't the tyres a b'stard to fit?

3. moggy1968

moggy1968 Well-Known Member

Map
    missprint!!
    235/85x16
    really though they aren't big enough for 8 inch rims but I already had them. I think I will replace with 245s or 255s

4. AndycruiserguyLomas

AndycruiserguyLomas Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    Not so young Mr Lomas on here has sold one of his turbo kits to Will on here, if he comes on ask him the difference it makes. I can't see why an extra 20-30% power and torque would be a bad thing on a heavier than standard 60 series. BTW the 12HT came from the start with a turbo, do you mean 2H?

Lubrication dear boy, Lubrication.

5. moggy1968

moggy1968 Well-Known Member

Map
    No, what I meant was that they didn’t just strap a turbo to the 2h to make the 61, the 12ht is a significantly different engine.

6. dubyab

dubyab New Member I am in uk

Map
    Its certainly been a noticeable improvement for me and I still haven't turned up the fuel yet, running 33's made it difficult to maintain speed on hills but not anymore. The straight through side exit exhaust I made makes it worth it for the noise alone!

7. dubyab

dubyab New Member I am in uk

Map
    Although I would agree for your intended use Moggy a more simple less stressed NA setup with fewer points of failure is wise

moggy1968 likes this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter