Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

6bt 12v cummins

Swifty

Country Flag
australia
Just got a few questions about a potential future 6bt cummins swap into my hzj75. First and foremost will it fit?

I am reliably informed that the cummins engine out of a Daf 7.5 ton truck will fit in a 80 series, and if you get one that is old enough it is manual, no ecu needed.

There's plenty of room under the bonnet, but one issue that maybe a problem is that the bonnet goes lower when closed to the radiator end so you may need to fit a body lift to close the bonnet! You wouldn't be able to drop the engine too much as you would then start to come into contact with the front axle. I've thought about doing this to my bj74 but I'm settled on fitting a 1HDT. :thumbup:

So thing to be aware of is that they weigh 500 kg

Nice engine but not for a cruiser.

Cast block and head, to much weight in the nose. If used for hard 9ffroad can cause the chassis to bend.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice engine but not for a cruiser.

Cast block and head, to much weight in the nose. If used for hard 9ffroad can cause the chassis to bend.

Yep as soon as you hit a wet patch.... the front will get bogged down to the axle! Too nose heavy.

Regarding too much weight guys. The difference from a genuine engine compared to the 6bt is roughly the weight of a winch.
I have a 80 pick up thats having a 6bt fitted and the above statement is what ive based my decision on fitting one. If my truck doesnt have a winch bumper and winch fitted the front end will still be lighter than genuine.jmo

Regarding too much weight guys. The difference from a genuine engine compared to the 6bt is roughly the weight of a winch.
I have a 80 pick up thats having a 6bt fitted and the above statement is what ive based my decision on fitting one. If my truck doesnt have a winch bumper and winch fitted the front end will still be lighter than genuine.jmo

Now this I need to see running and working ;)

Guys Guys... this is the 70 series forum.... Can you please keep it clean!:lol: My comment is mwb 74. We all know that 70 talk is not allowed on the 80 series forum! So can you please respect that us 70 freaks have our own space on here aswell!!! The 80 series forum is the one above this one in the forum list and us 70 folk respect the 80 so can you please show the same respect! Lol :text-thankyoublue: :icon-ugeek::thumbup:

Joking aside good fact to hear Karl... but you wouldn't you need the heavier gearbox to run it so more weight to add?:text-givemebeer:

Guys Guys... this is the 70 series forum.... Can you please keep it clean!:lol: My comment is mwb 74. We all know that 70 talk is not allowed on the 80 series forum! So can you please respect that us 70 freaks have our own space on here aswell!!! The 80 series forum is the one above this one in the forum list and us 70 folk respect the 80 so can you please show the same respect! Lol :text-thankyoublue: :icon-ugeek::thumbup:

Joking aside good fact to hear Karl... but you wouldn't you need the heavier gearbox to run it so more weight to add?:text-givemebeer:

Says the fella with a 60 as his profile pic :tonguewink:

yeah well I'm 70 then 60 another 60 then 70, 70 71 70 81 70 71 70 then 74 80 over 18 years and a few more. Wasn't being funny just wasn't talking 80 with my comment! Sorry all I guess I've just messed it up again! Lol

Just thought there wasn't enough views and likes on this thread and was waiting for dinner to be ready! :lol::text-lol: Seemed to have bumped the numbers up a little!:thumbup:

No

No mate. I have the adapter to fit the cummins to the 80 box :)

yeah well I'm 70 then 60 another 60 then 70, 70 71 70 81 70 71 70 then 74 80 over 18 years and a few more. Wasn't being funny just wasn't talking 80 with my comment! Sorry all I guess I've just messed it up again! Lol

All I can say is there’s not enough 80s in that list Iwan :lol:

Runs and hides...

Hey @Swifty Sorry for crashing your thread with my party last night! Seemed to go well in the end! Hell of a headache this morning! :text-threadjacked: :text-lol:
So in your hzj75. Do you have the h55f or r150/151f transmission? You might need to upgrade to the h151f as it looks to be the one to use with the conversion.. heavier like erm an 80 for instance! Good luck with it man:thumbup:

I am reliably informed that the cummins engine out of a Daf 7.5 ton truck will fit in a 80 series, and if you get one that is old enough it is manual, no ecu needed.
IMG_1205.jpg

He made his own backing plate to mate to the existing gearbox

Back