Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

70 series rims onto a 105 series

Justin Lincoln

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,

Just joined this forum after not finding the answer to a specific question – and apologies in advance, it's another question about rims/wheels.

I own a Landcruiser 105 series with the original split rims wheels. My wife and I like the splits having both done a lot of bush work in the desert areas around Alice Springs and beyond. We feel comfortable with them. Now, living in the Kimberley with two kids, my wife and I are about to order an offroad box trailer with its primary purpose for camping (though, not a camper with tent). We would like to have the same rims on the trailer as the vehicle. Sourcing original 105 series splits for the trailer is proving difficult.

So, understanding offsets and “backspace” (the distance from the centreline of the rim to the inner edge of the rim) my question is this: An original 190mm thick 105 series split rim has a “backspace” of 107mm and a newer 70 series split rim has a “backspace” of 130mm, can you put a 70 series split rim on a 105 series landcruiser without any issues?

Cheers,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum...

It appears that none of us knew the answer to your question but finding the right wheels is the only true answer and you have done it. Excellent.

Regards,

Rodger

glad you came right, but just for interest sake the (newer) 70 series rims do fit. Just need the correct mag rim wheel nuts.

Hi Justin,

Not sure how you're thinking but don't just match the rims and tyres, make sure and get your trailer axle to match the tread width of the 105, that way driving in sand / pan / mud will be a whole lot easier with a lot less drag. Makes a huge difference to pulling a trailer in the sort of conditions the Kimberly can throw at you :).

Easy enough to do if you are at the ordering stage of the trailer....

Rock

Thanks for the responses.

I now seem to have a surplus of 105 series split rims. But it is good to know that the 70 series rims will fit should we ever opt for tubeless - I'm kinda partial to the basic steel rim that comes on the 70s...

And also thanks for the reminder Rock re the wheel width! Build not yet started so will check.

Cheers,
Justin

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back