Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

78 Series - How do you remove the drivers / passenger glass

Chicko

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum.

Unfortunately my 78 Series Troopy got caught in the large hail storm in Brisbane last November. As part of the repair they are going to fix the rest of it up if I pull it apart. While it's mostly apart, I was looking today at how to remove the glass (Sliding and quarter) for the doors.

I've restored cars in the past so I was expecting to unbold the frame at the bottom of the door for the sliding glass and then just lift it out. But it appears as though the metal frame that the glass runs in is welded to the main door frame.

I would appreciate any advice you can provide me here if you've done it before.

Regards,
Mark

Welcome to the club Mark. :thumbup:

I'm a bit confused as to which glass exactly you wish to remove.

To remove the glass in the front 2 doors (drivers and passenger) you need to first remove the door trim from the inside, then wind the window down until you can see and remove the 2 bolts that bolt the glass to the mechanism, through 2 access holes in the door. Then wind the window mechanism down all the way down and lift the glass out on an angle.

For the glass in the sides of the vehicle, they simply pop out if you carefully put a large flat screw driver between the rubber seal and the body in the center of the window.

For the fixed glass in the rear doors, they also pop out but you need to push the seal out from the inside whilst applying gentle firm pressure to the glass as you work your way around. :icon-biggrin:

If that doesnt help, send me your email address and I can email you copies of the factory service manuals which have pictures and diagrams explaining it all. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

It was the glass in the drivers and passenger doors. Thanks for your instructions, simple when you know! :)

Welcome to the club Mark. :thumbup:

I'm a bit confused as to which glass exactly you wish to remove.

To remove the glass in the front 2 doors (drivers and passenger) you need to first remove the door trim from the inside, then wind the window down until you can see and remove the 2 bolts that bolt the glass to the mechanism, through 2 access holes in the door. Then wind the window mechanism down all the way down and lift the glass out on an angle.

For the glass in the sides of the vehicle, they simply pop out if you carefully put a large flat screw driver between the rubber seal and the body in the center of the window.

For the fixed glass in the rear doors, they also pop out but you need to push the seal out from the inside whilst applying gentle firm pressure to the glass as you work your way around. :icon-biggrin:

If that doesnt help, send me your email address and I can email you copies of the factory service manuals which have pictures and diagrams explaining it all. :icon-wink:

Back