Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

79 / 105 Hubs on an 80?

Roger

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
The front drive flange / hub bolts are driving me insane - usually the offside short side. Its not quite LandRover unreliability but its always at the back of my mind when the loud pedal is pressed. I am aware its symtamatic of low gearing, RCV CV's, 37" Tyres etc but I would like to remove / upgrade the issue if possible.

Its well documented that people upgrade to M10 / 12.9 Cap Heads but that results in oversize holes and no cone washers. Still keeping the 7mm dowels. Many people report that these still come loose - although break less.

As much as I can tell, it seems that 79's and 105's had M10 and 10mm dowels from factory, does anybody know if its simply fitting new hubs onto the 80 spindles with drive flanges to suit or am I hoping for a too easy fix?

Im going to have a bash with M10 cap heads for now but would prefer to go factory stock whenever possible.

Its my understanding that the drive is really placed through the clamping force (like a clutch) rather than the bolts and dowels but not over sure.

Chris, just found this thread, did you ever go M10? https://www.landcruiserclub.net/com...t-another-set-of-flange-studs-snapped.137339/

Last edited:
Roger, I know I've read about this on mud recently - may be worth a search over there. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

Someone who may be able to give some good advice would be Darren at Autocraft in Oz. IIRC he was mentioned a number of upgrades for 80s involving parts from the 105. http://www.auto-craft.com.au/

Thanks Lorin, he seems pretty confident the 79 stuff fits - 5 stud wheels though - going to make some inquiries.

From what I have read, the 105 was basically a new body on an 80 chassis? The steering box was uprated as were the steering arms and hubs, but the axle case was the same, so would look very closely at that. The problem is in Europe AFAIK was we were not allowed the 105 due to some BS about emissions from what is basically an 80 engine. Without access to these vehicles it makes it difficult to experiment.

regards

Dave

From what I have read, the 105 was basically a new body on an 80 chassis? The steering box was uprated as were the steering arms and hubs, but the axle case was the same, so would look very closely at that. The problem is in Europe AFAIK was we were not allowed the 105 due to some BS about emissions from what is basically an 80 engine. Without access to these vehicles it makes it difficult to experiment.

regards

Dave

I have a 105 parked outside, even pulled it out of the garage this morning to sort out MOTs and things in the coming days. The non turbo 1HZ is fine for emissions, afaik ( even the new 70's being imported are all 1Hz's ); Is there anything i can help with by way of details etc ? otoh, if you are in the area ( or within striking distance of Greenwich, London.. ) happy to come see you somewhere.

regards

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a 105 parked outside, even pulled it out of the garage this morning to sort out MOTs and things in the coming days. The non turbo 1HZ is fine for emissions, afaik ( even the new 70's being imported are all 1Hz's ); Is there anything i can help with by way of details etc ? otoh, if you are in the area ( or within striking distance of Greenwich, London.. ) happy to come see you somewhere.

regards

Hi Dave,

If you ever have the front hub stripped down I would be REALLY interested in some measurements of the spindle and bearing diameters.

As much as I can make out on the subject, the 105 hub is bigger with m10 bolts as standard along with bigger locating dowels, but this does mean the hub and drive flange pcd are slightly larger than the 80. Also the hub is 5 bolt (using m14 instead of M12) and requires specific wheels from the 70 series range (maybe 100 series as well?).

If I know the 105 / 79 hub fits the 80 spindle and brake calipers (post 92) then I will order the 79/105 setup and fit.

Cheers

The 105 is indeed the 5 bolt wheel hub. Shared with some of the j7 series. But arnt all 100s 5 bolt?

regards

I did not know that any 105's were available 'off the shelf' in Europe, or was it imported?

regards

Dave

Yes, imported into the UK in 2005. It was however sold by Toyota Gibraltar in 2001 and invoiced in GBP.

Hi Roger,

I believe the 105 spindle does fit the 80, but that should help with your 37's

Back