Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

79 series 1HDFTE turbo diesel

walleyBIRD

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys,

Recently Joined the cruiser club and bought a 2005 79 series turbo diesel ute. Picked it up with 218xxx on the clock.
Drives great and no dramas driving around town! Alternator ceased up after about a month and needed replacing but other then that it has been great.

I drive 135km a day for work on country roads and I seem to chew way more fuel then I expected and my rev gauge sits at about 4200 cruising at 110kph. I'm getting roughly 530km from each 90L tank.

Is that a normal fuel consumption and my rev gauge is playing up or am I chewing through way to much fuel?
I have checked my speedo with hema maps and it's pretty good.
Has anyone had this issue before?
Any advice would be great thanks

That's 5.88 kilometres per litre which is 16.6mpg. :scared-eek:

An 80 on road tyres, non modified auto should get around 23-25mpg on a good run.

Now I don't know about Utes and wind resistance but that does sound a tad on the poor side. My 80 12v doing 100mph on the German Autobahn with roof tent on top (wind deflector fitted) achieved 18-19.

Check tyres, brakes binding, air filter, poor quality fuel, and above all if it was pootled about then give it some good professional diesel injector cleaner at more than the recommended strength and get it nice and hot and give it an 'Italian tune-up'.

Check your sump to see if your oil level is increasing with leaked off diesel draining into the sump.

Th
That's 5.88 kilometres per litre which is 16.6mpg. :scared-eek:

An 80 on road tyres, non modified auto should get around 23-25mpg on a good run.

Now I don't know about Utes and wind resistance but that does sound a tad on the poor side. My 80 12v doing 100mph on the German Autobahn with roof tent on top (wind deflector fitted) achieved 18-19.

Check tyres, brakes binding, air filter, poor quality fuel, and above all if it was pootled about then give it some good professional diesel injector cleaner at more than the recommended strength and get it nice and hot and give it an 'Italian tune-up'.

Check your sump to see if your oil level is increasing with leaked off diesel draining into the sump.

Thanks mate, will do. Appreciate your help!!

Back