Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80/100 Rear body extensions/conversions

Michael Clark

Country Flag
uk
Has anyone done/looked into, have any opinion on, the rear body conversions on the 80/100 from the likes of Toms, Innovation Campers, Custom Campers, Maltec, Offroad Schmiede, Twiga etc..

Seriously considering this on my 80. Wondered if there were any UK companies that could undertake the task?

Prices from the above range between 20-25k Euros for the body and roof (pop top) conversion.

Its a lot. But its a lot of work! Just would like more space for longer term travel.

Looked into Troopies with Alucab roof, but I think I would miss the handling, comfort and capability of the 80. Plus troopies are hard to find and looking at 20-25k plus to bring a reasonable one into the country, then youd need to add diff locks etc.. I know my 80 and its solid. It has high miles which concerns me only in the respect of resale, but thats probably thinking a bit too sensibly!

Just want any knowledge that might be out there :)

3517633.jpg Beznazwy-2.jpg 683cc6c2adedc52b625b5b099dcbcce9.jpg

@Bat21 is doing a conversion on his at the moment

I’ve traveled with a few Toms conversions very nice workmanship. Pete at Atlas Overland has been running one for a few years now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a chat with Tom F a while ago about doing this on my 105. Not something we'd do now (opted for roof tent instead) but once the kids are grown up and left we'll definitely be doing it (not necessarily with Tom). It has to be said their build quality is exceptional.

Attached is what he sent me cost wise

Screenshot 2019-06-01 at 19.50.02.png

Don’t know who’s behind this build but I like it. Minus that elk.

D4BB5B03-7033-4608-AC29-2329A05CA5EE.jpeg

Just saw this on eBay. Not a fan of the lines. Looks like they’re just starting out. Might be of interest. Minus base vehicle of course.

Allroadcampers.com

FC7688E7-253A-4B99-8468-504312A3AE3D.jpeg

Last edited:
its on my list in near future. Doing R&D and talking with some that have travelled with poptop and next steps (more expansion, bigger body and replacement back)

Interested in Bat21 build as well. Looking to meet Renago in Milan during Sept (on trip Ireland->France->Crotia and back) as he is on his 2nd conversion (7x series - not 80) but DIY and not bought or converted by others
gis a call for a chat +353874577314 or via FB

Well Im off to the Alrad Show in Bad Kissengen at the end of June. All the major players will be there so will get lots of info and photos!

went there as well and lots of eye-candy. Toms is the best quality by far buy mucho monies. Several other vendors as well. Can send some links/photos

At the show its better to spend more time in the campgrounds looking at all the real rigs and seeing who has done what, what works etc.

Don’t know who’s behind this build but I like it. Minus that elk.

View attachment 156562

Just saw this on eBay. Not a fan of the lines. Looks like they’re just starting out. Might be of interest. Minus base vehicle of course.

Allroadcampers.com

View attachment 156561
I like the 100 series one. that landy job looks horrific imo. function over form I suppose.

Yes we have two days there so will spend one day in the car park!
last time there were at least 4-5 several camping areas as couldn't fit all in one spot

Be interested to see what you find

Looks well.

I can't make out from the pic, have you extended the chassis?

DDF037C9-057A-4D1D-ADD1-C6C7B70A91A5.png
No, not extended the chassis. The cabin is 2.3 meters long.

Very nice is that going to be a pop top aswell. Can't wait to see the finished article

Back