Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 into 60, does it go?

moggy1968

so, was thinking about a 12ht engine for my 60, but rarity to buy and get parts for got me thinking about putting a 4.2 turbo from an 80 in instead. I know it has been done before, but just how hard (i.e expensive!) would it be?

Cant give you an answer re the cost, but I would think it should not be difficult at all, build thread and pics would be interesting to lots of us here ;)

I guess much depends on what facilities you have and how much of the work you can do yourself. After buying the engine, say a 1HD-T, assuming it'll mate to the 60's gearbox it's just a case of fitting some new mounts and plumbing/wiring in the ancillaries. Sounds simple and it probably isn't. When you've bought your 'new' engine, unless you know for sure it's a good sound motor, you're probably going to want to at least partially strip it and check various parts over. More cost. Paying someone to do it all for you would probably be cost prohibitive and cost more than the end result is worth . All depends on how much you value your 60 I suppose. JMO

I would think that a 60 with a turbo diesel would be a beast, If I still had a workshop and tools available it sounds like just the sort of job I would enjoy, but that was long time ago on the farm in South Africa and we used to work on family project vehicles in our spare time lol,

The last project we did was a 5.6 chev V8 into a HJ47, the motor was fitted to a Dyna light truck 5 spd gear box with the standard transfer box and diffs, we had to have two adaptor plates made to fit the gear box to the engine and transfer box, engine was stripped and rebuilt for torque, the biggest problem we had was finding a flywheel and clutch set up as the donor engine came off a auto box, we fabricated new engine mountings and fitted 80 series front hubs to upgrade the drum brakes to discs, that was a fun vehicle it was mostly used to pull a Tomcat ski boat (google Z craft ski boats for the competition as google gives some other manufacturer for tomcat)

The most common conversion was a ford 3.0 v6 into a series landy or VW microbus.

I started this reply to say that with time, determination and money anything is possible and it might be worth all the heart ache because in the end you will have a unique vehicle,
would you be doing it your self of looking for a workshop to do the job?
Might be worth speaking to Julian at Overland Cruisers about it.

The engine will fit in as TP says.. the chassis' are the same width. Moving mounts isn't really a problem. If you use the 80 manual gearbox which would save the headache of fitting to the 60 gearbox. The issue is that the gearshifter on the 80 series is much further back so it would be nearer to the hand brake and hard to find a good one I believe.

If you use the 60 gearbox and bellhousing the starter motor would be right by the 80 turbo.. not sure how it would fit there.

I think people have used 1hz gearbox parts from the heavier 70 series from around the change over from 2h to 1hz.. would probably need special length propshafts made up too..

A great thing to do but Its not straight forward. .

Hope the info helps

there was a bit about this on the lccsa was a great conversion by the sound of it. i will look and see if i can find a thread. not sure how you would view unless your a member now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I guess much depends on what facilities you have and how much of the work you can do yourself. ................All depends on how much you value your 60 I suppose. JMO

none, none, and lots!!

The 60 5 speed gearbox has a weak 5th gear so fitting the engine and box as a oner might be an option, but I don't know if the full time 4wd set up of the 80 would be a problem

Look for a 12H-T/5 spd and t-case as a single unit. The 12H-T is a fabulous motor and the best choice for a 60. The weak 5th gear as spoken above is
from working 5th too hard, a problem that shouldn't arise with proper downshift timing. I've got over 40,000 kms on my conversion and with a new head
gasket now, and boost up to 12 lbs, it is perfect.

sorry guys, been away a while. I was looking at the 12HT but cost and availability here in the UK led me to the 80 series motor instead. I think a 12HT might be a headache for parts in the UK.

cruisepilot, As a former driver off lorries with crash gearboxes trust me when I tell you I know how to downshift!!
I blew my 5th gear (followed by the rest of the box!) after a high speed early summer run back from Africa through Spain and France. Continuous running at 70-75mph just cooked it, The 2 I have driven since and my replacement box all have noisy 5th gears. They just aren't lubricated well enough for continuous motorway running.

Here's a radical idea, how about the 4.2 non turbo currently fitted to Africa spec 70 series?!

none, none, and lots!!

The 60 5 speed gearbox has a weak 5th gear so fitting the engine and box as a oner might be an option, but I don't know if the full time 4wd set up of the 80 would be a problem
I know Garry 80 breaker has a 80 in at the moment that's got the 2/4 wheel drive set up.may be of some interest? Sure it's auto but maybe the transfer box could be used.

Back