Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series - 3F to 3FE Swap

thedickmoody

Country Flag
canada
Howdy!
This is my 1990 Australian 80 Series currently with 3F motor. I shipped it back home to Canada (Alberta) and that carb does not like the cold temp and higher altitude. I was able to find a 3FE to swap in for more reliability. I was hoping that there was some information or tips on a swap. I searched the forums and it seems like the majority of users are swapping in diesels.

I also have a garage with relatively low ceilings and was wondering how much clearance is needed to pull the engine from it. Will the whole front end need to be taken apart?

Any information that can be provided is hugely appreciated!!
39307C3D-27A5-4C03-89C6-EE7FDEA33785.jpg

Good first post , welcome to the club.I'm sure some 80 folks will be along soon to answer your questions .

Welcome, nice spot for a pic. Can't help with your question, but someone will be along with some answers

nice looking 80.

you wont need any more height than the 80 as you lift the engine off the mounts and draw it through the front of the vehicle. the centre of the front clip is removed. along with the headlights, rad etc.

Hello Again,

The old 3F is finally out! Ready to get going on the new 3FE now. Had a question regarding the fuel system. Currently I have two fuel tanks on the truck from factory.

Do they both operate as separate tanks, as in both have fuel pumps or does the reserve dump into the main? Wondering as I have to swap in high pressure lines for the new engine.

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• jenny1.jpg
    jenny1.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 51
  • jenny2.jpg
    jenny2.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 48
i vaguely remember the early carb petrol may have the switch over solenoids. so it draws from the sub rather than transfers the fuel to the main. the electronic injection engines transfer the fuel to the main tank.

have a look underneath, if there are two solenoids its the switch over set up. if there is only one and a pump, its the fuel transfer system.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Peeled back a bit more of the engine bay to expose these rust problems on the fire wall where inner fender meets it.
lc rust 2.jpg
LC rust.jpg
Tried some googling to see if there were any replacement panels.. no luck.

Any thoughts for the best way to attack this?

Strip out interior carpeting and sound deadening felt, the more you get out before welding apart from the obvious fire risk, if you don't your car will stink like hell for months. If calling in a mobile welder unless you can get the truck transported you get to sit inside with lots of hot wet cloths to damp down anything that is about to 'catch'.

Nice looking vehicl,e but you never know what you will find in these in the old girls that are ageing now.

Regards

Dave

LC - Dec.jpg

Howdy Folks,

Getting this thread going again, after a long hiatus. Finally got the body work done....

Looking for advice on wiring, I have a 3FE that is ready to be swapped in with a full harness from an automatic 60 series. My plan is to keep the manual trans from my 80, but with the new(ish) 3FE.

Am I better off to do an aftermarket harness (Haltech/Megasquirt) or try and get the two wiring harness to play nice?

Cheers,

Back